Recommended air test company

LA3222

Can the good folks on here pm me some companies for an air test. Trying to get one jacked up pre plaster, the minute I mention sub 1ACH as the target they run for the hills. Teeth sucking commences and then I'm told 'we only go down to around 2ACH'...mcscuse me?

There was me thinking an air test is an air test but what do I know?‍♂️

25 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

the minute I mention sub 1ACH as the target they run for the hills. Teeth sucking commences and then I'm told 'we only go down to around 2ACH'...mcscuse me?

Who run for the hills. the air testers or plasterers?

I would just tell them your target on the day on the day 

Most of the ones I see on-site just do as they are told 

A site we have recently completed was absolutely shocking 

But still scored 2 on each one tested 

@epsilonGreedy it's the air testers that ain't interested. Seems they happy to go down to 2ach, anything below must be effort for them? They mutter about equipment then say they don't go that low?‍♂️

@nod I want to get the test done now so I can hunt for leaks if there are any before I board up and its too late. Not bothered from a SAP point of view, it's more so I can make sure we are well sealed before it's impossible to do anything about it.

Interesting.  I am looking to get an air test done soon and I would just have been ringing and booking a test.  It never occurred to me that not all testers can go below certain limits.

So if I booked a random test without checking their equipment, and it came back as 2 ACH I wonder how the conversation "why so bad, help me find the air leaks" would go?

58 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

@epsilonGreedy it's the air testers that ain't interested. Seems they happy to go down to 2ach, anything below must be effort for them? They mutter about equipment then say they don't go that low?‍♂️

I spoke to Mr http://lincsairtesting.co.uk when he tested a new build near me, he seemed like a relaxed young guy about your age ?

As @SteamyTeasays maybe they do not have confidence in the sensitivity of their metering though with a large property like yours even a good result must still have some measurable airflow.

Ha, Simon at lincs is the dude who did my SAP and I assumed was going to do my air test. Oh no, young padawan he says to me, he didn't like hearing that I was looking for below 1ACH.

I never realised it would be an issue until now. I've not seen this mentioned on the forum before so I never knew.

Now I do?‍♂️

Now I'm on the prowl for a tester. Lincs was cheap, I now have visions of getting stung for a premium price for what appears to be a niche service?

Edited by LA3222

17 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

All the guys i have seen used on site just seal off One room in a large property, and usually ask you what result you want.

Does not surprise me at all, the building industry is bandit country. The daft thing is that I want a legitimate air test so I can make sure there are no leaks,  if you want a dodgy result - nay drama big lad, what, you want a legit result - cue beer being spat out in laughter at my naivety!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Now I'm on the prowl for a tester. Lincs was cheap, I now have visions of getting stung for a premium price for what appears to be a niche service

where are you..? I’ve got a contact in Nottinghamshire who is good 

17 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

the blower doors are calibrated with removable plugs to change the range of the meter. Dunno why there'd be a problem with using the kit as designed?

I think this may be the problem.

When most of the hole are plugged (usually in pairs), a greater back pressure can arise, that coupled to a lower fan speed (because the house is less leaky), may possible make the readings unstable.

Of all the kit the forum has access to, a door blower would be one of the most useful.  Trouble is, it would probably go missing.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, had the air test done today and it turned out alright. I wasn't sure what to expect, tbh I don't even care anymore, I'm bored with living in a caravan now and just want to be in the damn thing?‍♂️ must be 2.5 yrs in this van now!

Anyway, got 0.2ach which confirms my suspicion that the horrendous condensation we had at Xmas was due to lack of ventilation. Thankfully the MVHR is jacked up now so no further issues.

Living in a 30ft x 10ft caravan with two cats, a 9 and 11 yr old whilst staring at our 280m2 house for the last year has had its day now. Roll on move in day.

The joys of self building. Champagne taste with lemonade budget = a long time living in a box?

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Living in a 30ft x 10ft caravan with two cats, a 9 and 11 yr old whilst staring at our 280m2 house for the last year has had its day now. Roll on move in day.

Had you purchased a 13 x 38 static with no cats and no children your build would have taken 5 years like mine is likely to take.

34 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Had you purchased a 13 x 38 static with no cats and no children your build would have taken 5 years like mine is likely to take.

True that. Your setup is more spacious than mine so probably a bit more tolerable. Dont get me wrong, van life hasn't been a hardship, just ready to be out of it now?‍♂️

The summer heat doesn't help, winter is far easier to manage.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

@LA3222Did your visiting air tester explain the industry reluctance to do site test visits at high performance self builds?

He said they were talking shite as the kit is all the same!

• Like 2