Garage door fitting

Omi

We're in the process of finalising our garage designs (timber frame with blockwork external leaf) and realised that the designer has specified openings which match the door size but did not take into account the frame width. This got me thinking about how the frame would actually be fitted. The wall construction is:

image.png.111e5518e640c0366adfb6cb2c36b82b.png

My thinking at the moment is that we'll fit the metal frame direcly to the blockwork before applying the render extenally and then plasterboard to cover up the cavity and timberframe behind the frame (inside the garage).

Does this sound about right? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks!

Or is it a better approach to have the frame fitted to a pinch timber/batten (rather than directly to the blockwork) the same way that the doors/windows are fitted to the main house?

image.thumb.png.7c872c53c485fc72cb8991d528ed9dc0.png

42 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

What type of door are you going for and how high is the opening? 

We're thinking just a simple up and over canopy door. Opening is currently 8' x 7' but will be increased to accommodate the factory fitted steel frame.

Edited by Omi

I imagine canopy doors are mostly a standard size whereas sectionals and rollers are easily made to your specific dimensions to order. I recently bought a sectional and was given the exact opening required for an off the shelf 16’ wide door but then learnt that it would be no extra to have it made to the mm of my opening.

Garador are a popular choice for up and overs, I’d get in touch with them and other brands you may have in mind and ask for the overall frame width. Alternatively you could always fit it inside the reveal to the timber but you would obviously lose some internal length which may be a consideration. 

• Thanks 1