Edge stone alternatives

We are having a small gravel path all around the house, 1 metre wide maximum which we will put plum slate in (to help with drainage) and the other side is grass. Edging stones are quite expensive and Dads latest suggestion is sheets of metal which he can cut to any size, and then get galvanized cheaply which can be bent etc to suit and will be fine to strim against etc. 

We know for our drive etc we will need to have proper kerb stones and this won't be suitable for this.

Anyone used this? Thoughts?

17 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Edging stones are quite expensive and Dads latest suggestion is sheets of metal which he can cut to any size, and then get galvanized cheaply which can be bent

Was your father a metal worker?

I know that Shropshire likes to think it was the birthplace of the industrial revolution, but it was really Cornwall. Why we make sandcastles.

37 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Was your father a metal worker?

I know that Shropshire likes to think it was the birthplace of the industrial revolution, but it was really Cornwall. Why we make sandcastles.

? Nope, and he is in Staffordshire and I should be an expert in pottery (I confess I did work in a pot bank and was pretty good at it)!

Dad was raised on a farm and is very good at metal work (infact he's just brilliant at everything)! Although he should have retired a couple of years ago he is still very much working full time self employed as a mechanic with a lot of agricultural work so all the ground work, landscaping etc is now in his hands and he has all the equipment etc. On the plus we have gained lots of extra tools now - the track barrow is my new favorite thing and my cement mixing is as good as my cake mixing after a couple of dodgy mixes. So far I've kept out of the digger as I've got visions of me crashing into the house....

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/06/2021 at 20:48, PeterW said:

Steel edging is commonplace - lots of NT places use it. 

you can buy it pre-made but recon your dad could do something with some short lengths of rebar and the welder ..!

Everedge are only up the road from you too. https://www.everedge.co.uk/product/classic/

The price of steel is making this sort of edging quite expensive. Everedge will cost well over £1000 for around 130m of it. Dad looked into getting sheets, then cutting them and sending them to be galvanized but it's quite a lot of work for him and I'm trying to reduce the work for him as he is shattered having done quite a bit of work on the retaining wall for us (in fairness he's almost 70)!

He has seen something like this - has anyone used it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Edging-Border-Wall-Plastic-Garden-Grass-Lawn-Edge-10m-30-STRONG-Pegs-/392023501364?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by canalsiderenovation