OSB 3

jack1962

Hi there i am just new to the site so please excuse me if i have not created this topic in the appropriate section.

My query is to do with OSB 3 Sheeting, i have just received a pallet of this from my builders merchant as i requested, i asked for OSB3. In the past when i have ordered the odd sheet of OSB3, i normally see writing on it stating what grade it is, however the stuff i have just received from builders. all the sheets are blank with nothing indicating what grade or manufacturer. Is this normal?

The board sizes are 2397mm * 1197mm allowing for 3mm expansion gap i presume.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is our 1st self build..

Regards

Jack & Yvette  

Hi there Temp

thanks for the reply, the reason i am a bit confused with it is that  on looking at a site Building.co.uk, it has an article on OSB and it states that all boards should have various markings on them to identify manufacturer , ce marking , panel type, thickness etc etc 

If this is going to be a structural part of the build you will probably need to be able to show it is OSB 3 to whoever is giving you the structural warranty. In the current climate I would want a water tight (pardon the pun) guarantee it is OSB 3 and I am not sure the delivery / note invoice is enough as in the current materials shortage climate. Was there anything on the outer wrap of the pallet?

16 hours ago, jack1962 said:

Hi there Temp

thanks for the reply, the reason i am a bit confused with it is that  on looking at a site Building.co.uk, it has an article on OSB and it states that all boards should have various markings on them to identify manufacturer , ce marking , panel type, thickness etc etc 

My guess is they sent you wrong stuff, possibly due to shortages. If you go to the BM and the OSB 3 they have is marked you will know something like that has happened and can argue with them.

On 30/05/2021 at 13:54, Temp said:

My guess is they sent you wrong stuff, possibly due to shortages. If you go to the BM and the OSB 3 they have is marked you will know something like that has happened and can argue with them.

I have been told it is structural Grade and their source is Kronospan, though i am still waiting on a reply as to whether or not it is OSB2 or 3 and as to why they do not have stamped identification on them. I have also sent a query to Kronospan in UK. I will also speak to Building control for their thoughts on it as i am half way through constructing the timber frame panels but i am not to keen on sheeting them yet until i get some more info. The last thing i want is to have the ground floor erected and be told it is not adequate.

On 30/05/2021 at 07:18, MikeSharp01 said:

If this is going to be a structural part of the build you will probably need to be able to show it is OSB 3 to whoever is giving you the structural warranty. In the current climate I would want a water tight (pardon the pun) guarantee it is OSB 3 and I am not sure the delivery / note invoice is enough as in the current materials shortage climate. Was there anything on the outer wrap of the pallet?

Hi mike i have been told it is structural grade and sourced from Kronospan, though they have not stated as yet whether or not it is OSB 2 or 3. I have e-mailed Kronospan to query is this the way the normally send their materials out of production and how could i tell what grade it is other than being told so by Builders Merchant