Short of selling a kidney...

All right you clever self-builders, I need your help.

I've found the perfect site with an existing derelict bungalow on site. I want to knock it down and rebuild a super eco-friendly timber frame dormer. I could realistically contribute £220k through savings and a self-build mortgage, but this community has shown me I'll need £300k + contingency to make this happen.

I could save up for a year to make up the shortfall, which is fine. But the plot will likely be gone by then.

So I need your help. What are other ways we could do this?

Things I've ruled out:

• Massive inheritance (our parents are broke)
  • Personal loan from family (again, our families are both broke)
  • Build it ourselves (we have no DIY skills. Seriously. We'd botch anything we try. Plus, we want to build it within a year because we're currently renting)
  • Beg friends to help (we don't know anyone in the area)
  • Take out a bigger self-build mortgage (we can't afford rent + a mortgage payment)
  • Live with family so we don't have to pay rent (nearby family don't have enough room for us)
  • Live in a dodgy caravan on site (we've got an energetic toddler...health & safety nightmare)
  • Build a smaller house (it only costs £20k more to get what we really want and will last us for years, instead of something that's just ok for now)
  • Sell a kidney (I was only born with one)

Is there any merit to these ideas?

• Only finish the bottom floor, then do the dormer when we have more money (is there any issues with a self-build mortgage if we don't fully finish the dormer?). I know we'd lose the 20% VAT refund opportunity
  • Wait for details on the government's "Help to Build" scheme, due later this year
  • Look into possible green scheme grants, though I know the gov't shut down the recent programme and it only applied to existing houses. The existing house is a 1930's un-mortgageable timber frame with an 'E' energy rating.

What ideas am I missing?! No idea too outlandish (except for organ donation, because I need all of mine right now...)

Edited by wbc978
Missing word

Just for reference, we calculated:

£80k for the plot (the seller wants more, but we're hoping we can talk her down)

£70K for architect, planning permission, demolition, asbestos removal, foundation, building control, surveys, reports

£150k for turn-key house - medium spec

Edited by wbc978
misspelled word

£80k for a plot with an existing bungalow sounds outrageously cheap so well done on finding it!

Although you've ruled out the caravan on site, it really is the most sensible option. I'm not saying it will be easy, but you'll find lots of stories on BH where families of 5 have managed it (also with babies/toddlers) so it's definitely doable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wbc978 said:

£70K for architect, planning permission, demolition, asbestos removal, foundation, building control, surveys, reports

This figure looks high to me, very high actually especially you plan on spending 150k on a turn key building unless you have a very complicated site for new rounds and an aweful lot of asbestos. Architect fees should be able to keep low especially if your going TF route.

so why not do what you can with what money you have, but leave rooms you don't need to do when you can. That's my plan but I'm winging it lol

Concentrate money on getting the building envelope (build/windows/insulation/floors) to the spec you want

Edited by Vijay

The £80k seems ridiculously cheap.

The £70k seems very high and you should be able to bring this down significantly.

Then start going through all the details and make the build as simple and cheap as possible:

1) Can you re-use the existing foundations and foot print? If not, then can you build outside of the existing foundations so you don't have to dig any up.

2) Can you re-use the existing services without moving gas, electric, water mains?

3) Can you re-use existing drains/sewers (if connected to mains)

4) Simplify the design. Reduce number of windows, doors, large bits of glazing. By all means keep one "feature" but simplify everything else.

5) If you have more than one bathroom, maybe you just do one at the moment (run plumbing to the second one, but don't tile/buy suite etc.)

6) If there's space on site, you have more flexibility with regard to buying stuff such as roof tiles/insulation e.g. off ebay and keeping it on site so you can keep an eye out for bargains.

7) Learn to do at least something as DIY. Plastering/tiling/carpeting, whatever, just pick one or two things which you could do later.

Lastly (Rest of the forum, cover your ears): downgrade from medium specification to "low" from a reputable timber frame company - this can still be a lot better than your average developer new build.

The reality is £220k is not a lot to play with these days, even before you consider you're including in this the land purchase!

How "dereleit" is the existing dwelling?

I suggest buy it to secure the purchase then plan the way forward, and that should include patch up the existing place just enough to make it habitable while you get the design and planning sorted, and put aside your dislike of static caravans because that really is the most cost effective means of temporary accommodation while building.

Also plan the house so it can be built in stages as funds allow, e.g so it can be built as a 1 bedroom bungalow but with attic trusses already in place so later, when funds allow, you can do the upstairs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wbc978 said:

and rebuild a super eco-friendly timber frame dormer.

Have you defined what you mean by eco-friendly?

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I suggest buy it to secure the purchase then plan the way forward,

Seems the sensible thing to do.

Things missed, reality check, way to easy to get carried away.

Edited by SteamyTea

6 hours ago, wbc978 said:
  • Live in a dodgy caravan on site (we've got an energetic toddler...health & safety nightmare)

They won't be a toddler for ever. They'll be a surley teenager by the time you're on to the second fix and can give you a hand...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wbc978 said:

Live in a dodgy caravan on site (we've got an energetic toddler...health & safety nightmare)

If health and safety is your concern for iiving in a caravan with a toddler, then you have either bought the wrong caravan, or self building is not for you.  There will be MUCH bigger health and safety issues to deal with throughout a build that living in what has been designed as a residential static caravan, very likely originally on a holiday park where a huge percentage of occupants have toddlers.

• Like 1

Some people live in static caravans all the time and  yes they are the cheapest option for accommodation whilst doing self building. Minimum number of rooms initially, cheap kitchen and bathroom stuff initially , can always be upgraded later when funds allow. Design it yourself (plenty of help with that from this forums members so don’t need an architect). Get plans drawn up by architectural technician (cheaper than architect).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

cheapest option for accommodation whilst doing self building

Band A council tax.

But it does help with site security, and build quality being on site.

And you can get to play with some technology on the cheap i.e. PV and Air 2 Air Heat Pump, or an Ecocent clone.

Edited by SteamyTea

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:
8 hours ago, joe90 said:

Heating (UFH) can be heated by Willis heater as cheap intro until boiler or ASHP can be afforded .

In a caravan?

I guess he means in the house so as to reduce upfront cost?

Looks like the get as far as you can then do the final bits as and when affordable might be the sound option to close the gap. That takes some planning to ensure you can live without it looking like a building site for ever but planning is something that does not add to the cost. 

• Like 2

If you can find enough real money --then buy the plot --then you can take as long as you want 

or have caravan --securing plot with planning is first thing .

round here phouses all selling for 25% over asking price--thats not usual here  since easing of pandemic

so I have to believe that will happen in others areas

I would check if the replacement you want would be acceptable under Permitted Development as it gives you a basis for a knock down and rebuild argument with the planners. 

What else has been done in the area ..? Conservation area..? Street full of bungalows and you want to build 3 storey.?

And the architect / BRegs / asbestos stuff is wildly out - you should be able to halve that. 

Thanks all for your input! Just to clarify, I know a static caravan would be a perfectly safe, comfortable solution. My concern is my very curious, active toddler wreaking havoc on a building site! All the fencing and safety measures in the world couldn't contain my bundle of energy :)

Another question - I've just found out the street this plot is on is a private lane owned by the next door neighbour. The title deed says the maintenance is split five ways between the five houses in the lane. My question is - what does this mean for building works access? I would obviously ask permission from the lane owner. But what other obstacles are inherent when building works happen on a private lane?

15 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Be wary of the "private lane" when you have finished bringing all your heavy lorries up and down, they will want you to re do the private lane. New tarmac, sub base etc, could cost you thousands, and then some.

Ah I was afraid of that. We may need to pass this one up then. Gutted.

Oh well, onto the next plot...

42 minutes ago, wbc978 said:

My concern is my very curious, active toddler wreaking havoc on a building site! All the fencing and safety measures in the world couldn't contain my bundle of energy

Disciplinary smacking would though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

May not be a deal breaker, but you would defo need to sort out what they would expect from you with regards the lane at the end of your build.

On that note, the property isn't far from a public access road with parking. Do delivery drivers need access to drive right up to the site? How close do they need to be? I've attached a very rough drawing to illustrate the location (thanks MS Paint!). They would have plenty of room to park on the public road if they could walk a little bit? That way, they wouldn't need to park big lorries on the private road.

plot.png

Edited by wbc978

shared access and costs --runaway!!

cos when it needs doing  you will find others think its fine  or plead poverty 

been there done that never again

unless you want to make it up to council spec and get them to adopt it