I feel like giving up on the idea.

KXI. the blurb from nationwide says it all IMO. Brand new house, with a 10 year warranty, but you are still going to have to have a survey before we decide if we might lend. Just another reason for the potential buyer to buy the other new build down the road, built to minimum standards but no grief. Can't afford to build what i need because i have to look at getting my money back + some. Value of the plot is too high.

So it's either a crappy house built trad, to just building regs, or not bother.

So i can get an EPC that basically says whatever i want. The Airtest guy basically said the same "Tell me what you want, and i'll make sure the coputer spits that out" Frankly it's hard to find a reason to do anything better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Just sell the plot with planning ?? 

I could and might. Just seems such a shame. I just fancied trying to do something a bit better, hands on. I will either sell or just build to minimum standards, and get crap blockwork done by a buddy. It was never about making more money, frankly i'll make more just building the usual garbage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I could and might. Just seems such a shame. I just fancied trying to do something a bit better, hands on. I will either sell or just build to minimum standards, and get crap blockwork done by a buddy. It was never about making more money, frankly i'll make more just building the usual garbage.

I understand.

Sometimes it’s easier and better just to bank the cash and walk away 

I know. I build a crappy bog standard gaff, get some micky mouse EPC and airtest. But to give me a huge uplift in value, i'll stick some walk on glazing on the landing to sex the place up. If only i knew where i could get some ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I know. I build a crappy bog standard gaff, get some micky mouse EPC and airtest. But to give me a huge uplift in value, i'll stick some walk on glazing on the landing to sex the place up. If only i knew where i could get some ??

You know a man that can 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

Frankly it's hard to find a reason to do anything better.

However, I want to live here a fair while (till they wheel me out dribbling) and have cheap heating bills and live comfortably.

Currently undergoing a similar problem. Was not worried about mortgage providers until recently . Now I see what you guys are talking about ... sad.

@kxi mortgage providers Seem to have no issue with timber frame anymore (like mentioned,  more than 30% new builds are now TF) BUT they have a problem in what you clad it with.

Make it appear like traditional brick house ... all good. Anything else is non standard , doesn't fit into the tick list and therefore is super scary for any lender.

The question I could not quite find out is:

Are rendered backing boards considered a traditional finish aka are fitting the ticklist, or only rendered brickwork is in that category?

They sure as shit are scared of timber cladding.  Cause we all know, that all the high rises are dangerous cause of timber cladding . You sure seen the famous fire in the Grenfell timber clad. I just cant remember what they used back then , was it Cedar?

36 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Currently undergoing a similar problem. Was not worried about mortgage providers until recently . Now I see what you guys are talking about ... sad.

@kxi mortgage providers Seem to have no issue with timber frame anymore (like mentioned,  more than 30% new builds are now TF) BUT they have a problem in what you clad it with.

Make it appear like traditional brick house ... all good. Anything else is non standard , doesn't fit into the tick list and therefore is super scary for any lender.

The question I could not quite find out is:

Are rendered backing boards considered a traditional finish aka are fitting the ticklist, or only rendered brickwork is in that category?

They sure as shit are scared of timber cladding.  Cause we all know, that all the high rises are dangerous cause of timber cladding . You sure seen the famous fire in the Grenfell timber clad. I just cant remember what they used back then , was it Cedar?

Ews1 

I have flats with zero cladding . Every lender wants an ews1 - currently flats are unmortgagable .

So for any lender AND cladding AND self build going to be a nightmare 

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ews1 

I have flats with zero cladding . Every lender wants an ews1 - currently flats are unmortgagable .

So for any lender AND cladding AND self build going to be a nightmare 

Just had to google EWS1.  Just another bureaucracy step to rectify pencil pushers wages?. So just not going to have cladding then but a : " eco friendly environmental approved non flammable, Riba approved Facade shelling system "

But anyone got that question ever answered:

Does Rendered backing board fall under "standard" for mortgage/resale? o-o assume it should, but no clue and only spent 15min researching so far.

• Like 1

Every lender wants an ews1

There was new guidelines issued beginning of month, so tell them to read their own reports.

My sister has an unsaleable flat, what with the cladding, ground rent demands appearing out of nowhere, increasing service charge.

Leaves her 200k out of pocket and an extra 600 a month.

Told her to walk away from it before it bankrupts her.

But she won't.

• Like 2

Weird.....buildings I work on have different facades termed EWS1, EWS2......EWS6 etc.

That's going back 20 years. Often exactly the same curtain walling system on different elevations.

Never thought to question what "EWS" stood for but guessing something different. 

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There was new guidelines issued beginning of month, so tell them to read their own reports.

My sister has an unsaleable flat, what with the cladding, ground rent demands appearing out of nowhere, increasing service charge.

Leaves her 200k out of pocket and an extra 600 a month.

Told her to walk away from it before it bankrupts her.

But she won't.

Yep

Letting agent told me he manages a group of flats where the tenants were forced to leave due to ews1 and cladding . So flats vacant , unmortgagable and each owner needs to find 50k to cover the work !! ?

9 minutes ago, Patrick said:

So just not going to have cladding then but a : " eco friendly environmental approved non flammable, Riba approved Facade shelling system "

It’s over the top irrational panic ! . 
As soon as I pay and get magic ews1 I’m going to sell them . This and insane ground rent , service charge , management fee etc ridiculous .

Irrespective of ews1 my 2 flats in the town centre made a profit of £500 between them last year ! Not worth the hassle 

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yep

Letting agent told me he manages a group of flats where the tenants were forced to leave due to ews1 and cladding . So flats vacant , unmortgagable and each owner needs to find 50k to cover the work !! ?

I am always amazed how easily empty buildings burn down, then get rebuilt.

If any of you lot have listened to this, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050z5cf you will know how entertaining it can be.

Edited by SteamyTea

It’s over the top irrational panic ! . 
As soon as I pay and get magic ews1 I’m going to sell them . This and insane ground rent , service charge , management fee etc ridiculous .

Irrespective of ews1 my 2 flats in the town centre made a profit of £500 between them last year ! Not worth the hassle 

That's ridiculous.  You have to be a slum landlord nowadays to make a profit  I assume. Glad i stepped away from landlord game a few years ago ...

Irrational panic is the mood of our times.  If you're in the game of selling irrational panic , you have a solid business model as there is very high demand for it. Unfortunately i just cant sell it with a straight face so I'm no good as a irrational panic peddler.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Unfortunately i just cant sell it with a straight face so I'm no good as a irrational panic peddler.

That is where I have been going wrong. Used to sell a bog standard 24V, 25W lightbulb for 7 quid, then charge a tenner for postage and packaging.

I told the customers to go to City Electrical and buy for less than a quid.

Never thought to sell irrational panic. 

Shall start with something to shield us all from the next iteration if radio waves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Never thought to sell irrational panic. 

Indian variant spread by eating chicken korma or popodums .

Italian variant spread by eating pizza 

French variant spread by eating snails 

Germany variant spread by eating snitzel 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Indian variant spread by eating chicken korma or popodums .

Italian variant spread by eating pizza 

French variant spread by eating snails 

Germany variant spread by eating snitzel 

British variant spread by jingoism, ignorance, racism, petty mindedness, ........, and dogs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

You have to be a slum landlord nowadays to make a profit  I assume.

Off topic but not true - we have 3 semis in our village and a city flat. They all turn a decent profit and they are all well maintained with all the relevant certificates, gas, electric etc.

It's still a great way to invest for the future/pension.  The recent rise in values is also nice ?

Simon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bramco said:

It's still a great way to invest for the future/pension.  The recent rise in values is also nice ?

Some call it rise in value, others call it monetary inflation . ?‍♂️