I feel like giving up on the idea.

So. Got my plans drawn, and my build method, and costings sorted. Keen to move forward from trad methods, so i have got a foundation system which is screw piles, and metal frame on top, metal floor, insulated well 0.1 ready for underfloor heating pipes, and 55mm liquid screed. Walls constructed on site by me from 300mm wood i beams. Clad on the outside with a combination of hardi-plank cladding, and renderboard. 300mm walls filled with warmcell. U value of walls 0.13 . Truss roof U value 0.9. So all good so far.

Covid has defo changed me. I've got three lockdown grandchildren, and i am just not going to need a 4 bed, 4 bath house to live in when it is just me and the better half left. So basically if i build, i expect to sell when completed.

Although i have tried to be good by putting no concrete in the ground, walls etc, i feel i have hit a stumbling block. To be on the safe side, i rang 4 different mortgage brokers....... 1. Don't do it, non standard construction, you will struggle to sell.....2.  Stick a block skin on the outside, and you will be fine !.....3. Timber frame ? out of the 68 mortgage providers i have on my books, you have just knocked off 64 of them.....4.Nobody who currently has a mortgage, and would want  port it onto your property will be able to do so, so you have just taken it out of the market to 9 out of 10 potential buyers.

When is England going to move forward. ?????? They seem to be as bad as planners. lets just build using old methods and, (planners) make it look like all the other houses from the 1930's.

So i either have to go back to costing, with blockwork, and tons,of concrete, or just give up on the idea, sell up and bugger off. Sick of it frankly. We talk about climate change, but it seems we don't actually care. A couple of years ago i spent a day down at the building research establishment. About 50 houses, and i don'r remember a single one being brick or block. You wonder why they bother if all of the mainstream mortgage providers are not interested.

• Like 2

I feel for you, i am sick of seeing generic brick boxes being thrown up everywhere while MP`s score points talking about innovation, green issues and improving housing stock.

South and West yorkshire - if you are a developer building boxes or a Gypsy you can have as much land as you want, self build? forget it.

Can you imagine how far electric cars would have gone if finance companies wouldnt lend on them? mortgage lenders definitely need to come into the 21st century

• Like 2

Find a few of the big names you'd might go with and write a strongly worded letter to their CEO asking their stance on environmental issues etc. State that on the assumption they're supportive of reducing climate change blah blah then wtf won't they give you a mortgage. Play the shame game.

• Like 1

The trouble is Onoff, i've got a projected 18 month build time. I doubt anything will change in that time, so i could end up with a very expensive house that i can't sell. I can't afford that risk unfortunately. I think it's going to have to be either a trad build, or i just don't bother. Spoke to a developer i know who builds about 150 houses a year. "don't bother trying to be smart. Just build to minimum standards, cheap as you can. Nobody gives a $hite"  That is the future of our housing i'm afraid.

• Sad 1

If you expect to sell when completed then why go down the route of choosing all non standard materials?? You could get a mortgage from someone but the rates will be high so might make it non feasible. 

So either play the game and use a block skin on a non standard build, probably the easiest method to become standard or walk away.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

So. Got my plans drawn, and ....

When is England going to move forward. ?????? They seem to be as bad as planners. lets just build using old methods and, (planners) make it look like all the other houses from the 1930's.

So i either have to go back to costing, with blockwork, and tons,of concrete, or just give up on the idea, sell up and bugger off. Sick of it frankly. ...

And completely correct.

It's the need to sell that's the bastard. The number of people passing by who ask when we're selling... and you can see the  'You ain't going to be able to sell that pal ' written in their eyes.

It's a risk appetite thing. How do you feel?

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

If you expect to sell when completed then why go down the route of choosing all non standard materials?? You could get a mortgage from someone but the rates will be high so might make it non feasible. 

So either play the game and use a block skin on a non standard build, probably the easiest method to become standard or walk away.

Because i wanted to try and do something better for the enviroment etc. If i do build i will just do trad. Tons of concrete, minimum building regs etc. One of the points is where will that leave our major house builders ?

5 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

And completely correct.

It's the need to sell that's the bastard. The number of people passing by who ask when we're selling... and you can see the  'You ain't going to be able to sell that pal ' written in their eyes.

It's a risk appetite thing. How do you feel?

If i was willing to be stuck with it, then perhaps brave. If i was willing to live in it for the rest of my days, then very brave. But, having a view that i will not have a need, or want to keep, then not brave i'm afraid.

You will not get a premium for eco stuff.  Nobody looks at an epc.  MVHR is just another thing to go wrong.

Timber frame and brick or block outer leaf is acceptable to most.  Sounds like you already have a tiled pitched roof.  I am not sure if metal floor, Hardie cladding and renderboard is a great deal kinder to the environment.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Because i wanted to try and do something better for the enviroment etc. If i do build i will just do trad. Tons of concrete, minimum building regs etc. One of the points is where will that leave our major house builders ?

They only care about profit. Not a single thought passed their minds with regard what materials they use and what impact they have on the environment. 

If it was your forever home then yes by all means go the extra mile and try your best to build something carbon neutral or low energy but if your going to sell it make your life so much easier and build something standard to building regs and that's all. Sell up collect the cash and move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

You will not get a premium for eco stuff.  Nobody looks at an epc.  MVHR is just another thing to go wrong.

Timber frame and brick or block outer leaf is acceptable to most.  Sounds like you already have a tiled pitched roof.  I am not sure if metal floor, Hardie cladding and renderboard is a great deal kinder to the environment.

Yep, if i carry on it will be concrete foundations, blockwork rendered, with hardi plank on the top half. loads of trickle vents. No MVHR. Gas central heating. minimum building regs. As the developer i know said. Cheap as i can build it.

The developer actually give me the details previously of his guy who does the EPC's for his houses. When i spoke to the guy he didn't even want a set of plans. Simply said "Nobody understands the calcs, Just tell me what result you want, and i'll put it in the post"

I've been on site when they have been stuffing insulation into the visible cavities because the building inspector was due on site. No insulation in the rest of the walls.

And our kids are expected to pay up, and get 30 year mortgages on the crap we currently build.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@Big Jimbo capitalist hat on !

Build a ‘standard’ house ( yes I know that’s shite ) and sell it OR build what you want and live in it .

Best of both worlds is to build what you want and still have considerable equity in it .....

An asset is just an asset .

• Like 1

The trouble is Hardly any potential buyer will care if you have screw piles or a shit load of concrete 

If you where doing for yourself I’d say go for it 

This non standard fixation that mortgage lenders have won’t change anytime soon 

• Like 2

Ha, Been  there got the t shirt. I started my journey by planning a straw bale build but age and Ill health made me pull my horns in. I too looked at re sale value/mortgage and my build I believe is a compromise. Brick and block construction  but to near passive standards. With regards to concrete the Romans used it and some of it is still standing so I believe for its life it’s acceptable. I am hoping to be here for quite a few years yet so only 3 beds and 2 baths (if any more turn up the caravan is outside!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Although i have tried to be good by putting no concrete in the ground, walls etc, i feel i have hit a stumbling block. To be on the safe side, i rang 4 different mortgage brokers....... 1. Don't do it, non standard construction, you will struggle to sell.....2.  Stick a block skin on the outside, and you will be fine !.....3. Timber frame ? out of the 68 mortgage providers i have on my books, you have just knocked off 64 of them.....4.Nobody who currently has a mortgage, and would want  port it onto your property will be able to do so, so you have just taken it out of the market to 9 out of 10 potential buyers.

They are so bleedin' backward. Really, its shocking, really really shocking. I admire you trying to break the mould, I try to break it too but often do end up going down the boring tried and tested route for a multitude of issues.

• Like 2

I would be surprised if screw piles were any better in carbon footprint than concrete.

The pragmatic approach is to use proven conventional construction, but to have ultra efficient design and no waste.

For example the footing is dug exactly the right width and depth,  and if the delivery is by volumetric there is zero waste.

No bricks or blocks (or halves) to be wasted, timber and plasterboard cut with thought to avoid waste.

and so on. Packaging all recycled where poss. If there is no skip, then the wastage plummets. 

If you address every aspect then you will save a lot of needless material use/waste, with the environmental benefit that brings., and money too.

Air -tightness superb because you are supervising it. save energy for 100 years.

Nothing to feel guilty about.

Your building will be a different class to the commercial ones. The resale value will not reflect this, but if it is for yourself that does not matter, and it will be standing in 100 years unlike the others.  QED it is a sustainable house.

• Like 2

There is nothing inherently wrong with a block built house, but like everything, it is the attention to detail.

You can still achieve a good airtightness value (aim for <1), a good U-Value, so insulate better than building regulations.

Windows are a tricky one, double glazing, rather than triple, but fit MVHR, then no need to worry about trickle vents showing (they make windows look unfinished).

Heating is then the difficult one, but if you design for a heat pump, but fit gas or oil, when the time comes to swap the boiler (and if you buy a cheap one, it will need swapping) the new owners may not have a choice about what they fit.  Do you remember the Windows 98 Ready slogan, well your house will be Heat Pump Ready.

Don't fret about the embodied carbon and energy in the materials, you can look at ICE and work out that it probably does not make a huge difference over 20 years, let alone 1000.

Save money on the fittings, so basic stuff, no automation, a passable kitchen (if it looks good, it is good) and simple white bathrooms (steel baths).

You can always sells the potential about what can be done, rather than your dream.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

I question the assumption (from your mortgage brokers) that unless a house is 'traditional' brick and block

a) no-one will be able to get a mortgage on it

b) no-one will want to buy it

It's clearly not true that timber frame houses, or those using screw piles (for example) cannot be sold or get mortgages on them. Around 30% of UK new builds are timber frame.

For example here's some Nationwide mortgage intermediary guidance:

https://www.nationwide-intermediary.co.uk/lending-criteria/new-build-hub/construction

"The majority of New Build homes are constructed using traditional, tried and tested methods, for example cavity brick/block and timber frame. High rise flats are usually constructed using concrete, steel frames and different forms of roof cladding (as opposed to the more standard tile and slate). All these methods are acceptable to Nationwide."

Then:

"An increasing number of homes in the UK are being built using innovative materials and methods such as factory manufactured “pods”, steel and timber frames, roof and floor “cassettes”, 3D printing and changes to on-site processes (including the use of robotics). These products and processes are referred to as Modern Methods of Construction (MMC). Many properties built using MMCs are acceptable to Nationwide, subject to our criteria. Our valuers will assess these on a case by case basis. We need to be sure that new methods of construction are sufficiently durable, easily maintained and will remain readily saleable in order to protect our members."

It may be that your particular proposed build approach IS so non-standard that it's a risk for sale/mortgage, but clearly some aspects of it should be fine. It might be a good idea to find out what particular aspects of it a mortgage lender would find off-putting, because maybe there is a good reason for that?

Of course you might choose to change your build method for other reasons anyway. But wasn't a key aspect that you could so some of the work yourself? Presumably that guides in a particular direction?

Also, if you don't need a big house so plan to sell, why not just build a smaller one to live in forever, then you can make it how you like?

• Like 1

Our rental house in Bristol is a weird build, post war steel frame and poured concrete (even ceilings), previous owner had difficulty getting a mortgage and they had to get holes cut in several locations to make sure the steel frame had not corroded before they were offered a mortgage but many companies just refused. It has no insulation in the walls and feels like a fridge ?.

• Haha 2

83% of new houses in Scotland are timber frame, albeit with a a brick skin. With cement fiber cladding like hardi plank and cedral the only issue I've heard with mortgages is if you mix the blockwork and cladding. Our original design had 80% cedral and 20% blockwork and we were told it may be an issue. Currently ours is standing seam on the roof and first floor and cedral on the ground. We are still with Ecology but we'll soon find out if that is an issue when we move!

My personal view on "green" building is to do the best you can without unnecessarily kicking yourself in balls. You adding a big concrete slab to your house is not going to register in the scheme of things given how much is being used in the world right now. Especially if it means you can have an efficient home for many years to come. 

Personally I don't have any children so take the view I can splash concrete about and probably drive a Humvee and I'm still greener than most people (joke, sort of). 

• Like 2