Moving pallet of blocks around

Tony K

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Nope, no chance you won’t budge it, if it hasn’t got an engine forget it, your not pulling it nowhere. 

If you are building a whole whole house you need to address this issue now as this will be one of 50-60-70 deliveries, so you need a method. 

You are now the second person to say this, and the first had seen my awesome physique too... 

My plan for materials was to leave pallets out on the road so that the delivery driver could lower the jumbo bags etc on to them, then I could drag them to site on the pallet truck. 

Perhaps I'll invest in a really good barrow and a trolley, and just get stuck in.

all our blocks have arrived on pallets, we were lucky that they could be placed right by the build, 48 per pallet, but absolutely no chance of moving them with the pallet truck.

Also, ours are 25kg as they are 140 deep.

16 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You will be fine if it is level or slightly down hill.

Do you say that based on experience of dragging pallets of blocks around? If so I would be very interested in how you got on!

13 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Do you say that based on experience of dragging pallets of blocks around? If so I would be very interested in how you got on!

Tiles, adhesive and flooring.  We either borrowed a pallet truck or used the one from the pallet delivery company.  Any edge more than 15mm will stop it dead.

It is a bit like pushing a car.  I would not go for this to move a load of blocks 50m.

Thanks all. I think the conclusion of this is that a hand pulled pallet truck won't do the job. I'll either rent a motorised one or I'll get a decent trolley and get stuck in. Which of these options to go for will be dictated by whether I can get all my bricks, blocks, sand and cement delivered at once (in which case I'll hire the motor pallet truck and shift the lot that day) or, if the materials come in dribs and drabs I'll go for the trolley. 

If it is relatively level then I think a rough terrain pallet truck is a good option, you can get a second hand one on eBay. I have also seen some modified to carry bulk bags.

But if you have to drag them up an incline then I doubt this would work.

I have a similar issue and am leaning towards using a 1 tonne dumper to move the materials around. 

2 minutes ago, Andy brown said:

If it is relatively level then I think a rough terrain pallet truck is a good option, you can get a second hand one on eBay. I have also seen some modified to carry bulk bags.

But if you have to drag them up an incline then I doubt this would work.

I have a similar issue and am leaning towards using a 1 tonne dumper to move the materials around. 

How will you load the dumper ?

they are designed for moving soil/sand about, you need a forklift. 

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

How will you load the dumper ?

they are designed for moving soil/sand about, you need a forklift. 

We will load sand and soil with excavator and then bricks and blocks by hand.

Our access is only 1.1m wide so not sure if we have any other method to move materials ?