Window sizes

LSB

Question:  in my barn conversion I have some existing opening which will become windows.

But, when I measure to get quotes is it the size of the hole that I use, i.e. if the hole is 1m x 0.8m then is that what I use and the glass is smaller.

Or, do I allow for the frames myself.

You give them the size of the hole. The manufacture will work out the size of the glass taking into account the frame as all companies have different frames.

Better yet is if you can get the window manufactures to measure the windows. That way if they take a wrong measurement or make a mistake it's up to them to fix it. If you make a mistake in your measurements it's going to be expensive.

Thanks, I've read many times about using 'standard' sizes, but I doubt my barn holes are standard, are we better making the holes smaller to allow for this.

For example the ensuite window is 1106mm x 685mm

Or, will the window suppliers cater for this.

4 minutes ago, LSB said:

Thanks, I've read many times about using 'standard' sizes, but I doubt my barn holes are standard, are we better making the holes smaller to allow for this.

For example the ensuite window is 1106mm x 685mm

Or, will the window suppliers cater for this.

Working around standard sizes for a new build makes sense, but as you are converting, changing the hole sizes can be a pain and look terrible, thats unless you are intending making them much bigger anyway in which case head for standard sizes where possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markc said:

Working around standard sizes for a new build makes sense, but as you are converting, changing the hole sizes can be a pain and look terrible, thats unless you are intending making them much bigger anyway in which case head for standard sizes where possible.

We actually need to make some of them smaller as new internal walls will hit the outside right in the middle of 3 windows.

But, we are rendering and will have plasterboard inside so I hoped that it wouldn't show once we finish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

your supplier will make them to whatever dimensions you give. measure the height of the opening in 2 places and the width in 3 places and go with the smallest measurements. then you deduct 10mm (or 5mm if your feeling confident) then that is your final width and height including sill. all measured in millimetres, inches would blow some peoples brains out.  

then screw them in with 120mm long concrete screws 150mm away from the corner welds 3 or more per side. get a pack of plastic spacers and some low expanding expanding foam.   

• Like 1

Also...

Many window companies can supply sills of different depths (front to back) so make sure to specify which you want. The drip groove on the underside should be clear of the wall.