Insurances for conversion

Close to completion of ownership, and to getting started. 

As soon as we own this, we should insure it.

We still have to submit the warrant application, and wait for approval before we can convert.

But we have some essential maintenance to do to clean out the cow mess, keep the rain out etc. and will get started on pointing the stone where it is important to do so. 

Plus caravan will be on site.

With owning, and doing some work, we must take insurance cover right away.

From reading previous correspondence I see recommendations for Zurich, Self-build Zone (part of Build-zone) and Protek.

All more expensive than I had hoped.

Any other recommendations?

And advice always welcome.

This will be conversion of stone agricultural to home, for occupation not selling, and currently allowing 18 months (thinking that is not enough)  Self-managed.

The building is 300m2 on ground and 100m2 upper floor.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Close to completion of ownership, and to getting started. 

As soon as we own this, we should insure it.

We still have to submit the warrant application, and wait for approval before we can convert.

But we have some essential maintenance to do to clean out the cow mess, keep the rain out etc. and will get started on pointing the stone where it is important to do so. 

Plus caravan will be on site.

With owning, and doing some work, we must take insurance cover right away.

From reading previous correspondence I see recommendations for Zurich, Self-build Zone (part of Build-zone) and Protek.

All more expensive than I had hoped.

Any other recommendations?

And advice always welcome.

This will be conversion of stone agricultural to home, for occupation not selling, and currently allowing 18 months (thinking that is not enough)  Self-managed.

The building is 300m2 on ground and 100m2 upper floor.

Do you have CIL where you live, if you have don't do anything until that is sorted.

poss. 2 different discussions here.

1.  As we will own the building we do want it insured.

As there will be contractors of varying size, we need to be covered in case of accident.

2. Scottish so I think, and hope, that we will not have any levy. Planning permission was many years ago, by others, and there is no condition of a 106 or similar.

I am sure that there will be advice available on this. Likewise rates/council charge : in England there are favourable rates for conversions: not confident re Scotland, but i don't know..

I live in a house which was change of use/conversion 25 years ago, and it sits in band C until sold.

In the absence of any more suggested names, I can give my interim report instead.

Online I went to

Zurich

Build-zone, who directed me to Self-build zone.

Protek

Renovation Plan

Build-safe.

3 came up with instant quotes, and one directed me where this would be done.

3 provided personal email responses, (showing interest/human touch) and one of these phoned.

The latter was Build-safe, and was interesting: He said that it was unusual, but correct, to come to them before the job started. They are suspicious of late applications, and also don't have any opportunity to inspect enclosed works if they wish. Then said that they use the same insurer as Self-Build zone so the price would be the same.

I suspect Protec also use the same as it was within a few pounds.

All costing much more than I budgeted, but will work on it. Zurich seem cheapest but I haven't checked the small print.

It seems there are only 3 insurers in the market, which doesn't lead to competitiveness.

Thinking about it, they are insuring a one-off, unknown project, with an insured who also might know very little.

On the other hand, the exclusions and conditions look extensive so perhaps they don't often have to pay out.