New heating for terraced house in London

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

weak

No, as I have stated before, I and a number of my neighbours have heat pumps and none of us find them noisy, let alone very noisy. You have made this statement before on this forum and other members have also disagreed with you.

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

not really, when they have to work hard when its cold they are at their worst.

yet again, you make statements that are not true, it was pointed out to you in a previous thread that temperature makes little difference to heat pumps, it’s relative humidity that has a small effect that can cause icing.

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You are trolling again.

yup!

On 24/05/2021 at 21:36, IanR said:

For new build Terrace houses and Apartments, how about District Heating? Seems to work in Sweden.

We're part of a district heating system. Remarkably hot water in a closed system branches into the property and is passed through a heat exchanger, heating the water in our primary system. The provider calculates our energy consumption using the difference in temperature of their water entering and exiting the heat exchanger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrSniff said:

The provider calculates our energy consumption using the difference in temperature of their water entering and exiting the heat exchanger.

What happens when a few people don' pay on time, or not at all?

8 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

What happens when a few people don' pay on time, or not at all?

Interesting question. No idea, I haven't tried it!

I would need to reread the contract, so will maybe take a look later out of interest, but it's in French so will take me a while. I guess like all contracts, the supplier has recourse to the courts and can if necessary close off the supply to the property (no need to enter as there are lockable valves outside each). Not sure if the same protection on continuity of energy supplies applies here.

On 08/06/2021 at 18:48, joe90 said:

yet again, you make statements that are not true, it was pointed out to you in a previous thread that temperature makes little difference to heat pumps, it’s relative humidity that has a small effect that can cause icing.

yup!

just not true. 

When its close to freezing they perform poorly and freeze up that's just a fact.

You and the other fanboys can say they don't create noise all you like, your are simply wrong and you know it. Very disingenuous.

Are you trolling ?

39 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

You and the other fanboys can say they don't create noise all you like, your are simply wrong and you know it. Very disingenuous.

You've lost the argument, now it's time to move on...

The Government is targeting 600,000 heat pump installs a year by 2028 and is putting the legislation in place to make it happen, whether you feel they are noisy or not.

Edited by IanR

43 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

When its close to freezing they perform poorly and freeze up that's just a fact.

That is indeed a fact,  especially when the RH is high.

Which is why there is a defrost cycle.

Which still results in an overall COP greater than 1.?

43 minutes ago, IanR said:

You've lost the argument, now it's time to move on...

?

56 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Are you trolling ?

no, I am one of the very happy people that have a heat pump so can base my opinion on actual facts.

28 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

As we are talking "facts". At "close to freezing", my HP is still pushing a COP of over 3. The drop in COP from a warmer outside temp accounts for the completely normal defrost cycle:

image.thumb.png.e3cdc2a0e81958b1a538823c6e75b121.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, joe90 said:

no, I am one of the very happy people that have a heat pump so can base my opinion on actual facts.

Ditto. I can hear mine when I stand next to it, but only if it's heating DHW. It's a very unobtrusive sound, too, like the very faint murmur of distant road noise. If it's just doing background heating, I need to basically stand in the airflow to hear it at all.

Subjectively, I'd say it's less than half the volume of my neighbour's gas boiler flue (and that's also a much more annoying sound).

TBF, my unit is only 5kW, and I suspect larger capacity units are noisier, but I don't recall ever hearing the 15kW unit sited down the side of my in-laws' house.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Yes and no.

The CoP will drop below 1 while the defrost cycle is happening (and this does depend on where it draws an elevated temperature from), but once it has defrosted it is back to running at a higher CoP.

They are designed to do this.

I can wreck the fuel consumption, and the maximum speed of my car, just stick it is first gear, floor the accelerator, and watch the unburnt hydrocarbons pour out the exhaust.  It does not make my car useless, or incapable of being operated as intended.

Edited by SteamyTea

7 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Which still results in an overall COP greater than 1

No, it results in a COP less than 1 fir the short duration of the defrost (which I have only noticed once during two years  of running mine)

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

No, it results in a COP less than 1 fir the short duration of the defrost (which I have only noticed once during two years  of running mine)

Would that have been in one of the coldest winters down here, with a unique weather pattern.

there isnt any doubt they are efficient but their limits make them very poor alternatives to gas combi's which is why they will never go mainstream.

People moving into new builds with one will be in for a rude shock. Second shower before work for the mrs, cold water, third for kids , cold water. 7 years in oh its packed up you need a new one sir that will be £10k.

Boilers will never stop being installed as they are a far superior product.

8 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

there isnt any doubt they are efficient but their limits make them very poor alternatives to gas combi's which is why they will never go mainstream.

They will be "Main Stream" from 2025 - read up about the Future Homes Standard

People moving into new builds with one will be in for a rude shock. Second shower before work for the mrs, cold water, third for kids , cold water. 

Not true, just like a gas boiler the heating system needs to be correctly sized for its use

7 years in oh its packed up you need a new one sir that will be £10k.

Where is your reference that says a 7 year life is typical. They're not £10K now and will only go down once the RHI/MCS scheme is removed.

Boilers will never stop being installed as they are a far superior product.

I think you are burying your head in the sand.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1