Gas meter location regs, and pipework inside house?

tomfc

Hi all. I have a question about gas meters and pipework inside houses that's left us in a bit of a tizz. Hope someone can help!

So our builder rang Cadent and was told verbally before our build started that a gas pipe could be run around the back of our house to a meter (gas main is in the road near the front), and so put in a duct and planned everything around this being the case.

Now we have actually applied for Cadent to connect us up, they are saying that "due to new regulations" the gas meter needs to be on the front wall (or up to 2m down the side of the house).

I can't find any regulations that say anything about this, though maybe am not looking in the right places. Does anyone have any advice? Our builder said he'd meet with them and try to convince them, but it surely should be either that there is a hard rule or there isn't one at all...

And then if we have to have our meter on the front wall, I can't make out the rules as to how to have gas pipework through the property to the boiler which will be in our utility room at the back of the property. Can pipes be run through walls or under floors? I've seen things which all seem to be conflicting about needing vents or metal protector plates or such, or putting the pipe outside the house (would rather not this!).

I had an issue with Cadent too as I wanted to run the ducting to my house. They would not have the meter inside my plant room as they wanted to be able to read the meter! I said to them I though we were heading to smart meters to which she had no reply - but she would not back down. In the end she agreed that on the inside of an external wall would be acceptable.

I'm hoping not to bother with gas but I ran the duct anyway just in case.

Cadent connected up to outside ground meter box last week on my development

Circa 25 metres from the road and aside the utility at the side of the house, 5 meters from the front elevation.

My builder had the piping and ducting dropped off by cadent and dug out the trench for it himself and left the other end coiled up at the edge of the site.

cadent.jpg