Shower control valves and toilet help

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Vijay The person you spoke to is talking out of their arse. That valve will deffo control flow. 

I’ll put money on it. 

I'm not taking you up on that cos I think you are totally right lol

Just spoke to an incredibly helpful guy at Crosswater taps who said that for their 2 outlet, 3 valve units, they all have flow control as they use a pretty standard 1/4 turn ceramic cartridge - exactly what I mentioned earlier, like a bath or basin taps. I told him I'd asked Bristen, Hudson Reed, JTP and Kartell, who all said it's on or off with nothing in between, which confused him why they would say that.

All he said is you don't get a massive range of flow adjustment as it's only 1/4 turn, but he said the water pressure will also affect the flow control, as if higher, the range from off to max flow would be greater. The water pressure at Mums house is circa 3 bar, so he said it would give a reasonable flow adjustment.

• Like 1

Well I checked, double check and tripled check with Hudson Reed, they are adamant that there is no flow control, it is just on off. This was their response "with the cd valves in the products I always advise they are either on or off, theoretically you should be able to turn it slightly and not get the full amount of water, but they are only supposed to used as a full on and full off"

So it seams the only ones that say they adjustable flow controls are crosswater

On 18/07/2021 at 10:30, Vijay said:

Need some more help with this shower valve guys (never thought it could be this confusing). I'm being told different things (that's when suppliers/manufacturers even get back to me), but am I right in saying you don't get any control over the flow/pressure from 2 way/outlet shower valves? I've looked at both 2 control/handles and 3 and the only difference is the 2 control just diverts the water to one or the other outlet, where the 3 control allows you to have one or both outlets on at the same time. Neither of them control flow/pressure.

The water supply is from a combi boiler and the mains water pressure is approx 3 bar. I'm a little concerned that the water from the overhead and handheld shower outlets will be too much with no way of adjusting them. What's that like in real world usage?

The very expensive Perrin & Rowe shower mixer has a Temperature lever and an on/off lever that seems to work ok as a flow control lever on mains pressure. I suppose it might be considered a little sensitive but then we have pretty high pressure.

You can add a separate Diverter Lever valve to send the output wherever you want (but not to two places at once unless you add more levers). Problem is both P&R diverter valves we have tend to stick. To move it you have to wiggle it back and forth gently. If you try and force it around in one go you can break the spline adaptor inside. So unless they have fixed this problem I can't recommend it.

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

About 50' from where I'm sitting typing this...at home! 

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It from his ‘personal shower’ collections……

Please don’t ask any questions about arse hair removal devices…….

lol my mind is damaged enough without knowing

19 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Like I said, talking complete and utter bollocks.

Email them a link to @Onoff’s video. ;) 

Can't download the video to send to them, get sound but no visual :( Won't they need an account to see this thread??

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

Can't download the video to send to them, get sound but no visual :( Won't they need an account to see this thread??

PM me your email and I'll send it that way.

I'm sure though they'll just revert to saying you should be able to turn it a bit and get a little flow but should really be used full on, like you said they already have and that that's what my video shows.

Edited by Onoff

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

PM me your email and I'll send it that way.

I'm sure though they'll just revert to saying you should be able to turn it a bit and get a little flow but should really be used full on, like you said they already have and that that's what my video shows.

Are you sure you don't work for Hudson Reed! lol this is what they replied:

"as you can see from his video , when he first turns the shower on with not doing the full turn , water does come out of it but its not enough to have a shower, this is also dependent on the pressure you have coming to the shower, which is why I suggested that theoretically you should be able to turn it slightly and not get the full amount of water, which is why we recommend they are only supposed to be used as a full on and full off"

16 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Are you sure you don't work for Hudson Reed! lol this is what they replied:

"as you can see from his video , when he first turns the shower on with not doing the full turn , water does come out of it but its not enough to have a shower, this is also dependent on the pressure you have coming to the shower, which is why I suggested that theoretically you should be able to turn it slightly and not get the full amount of water, which is why we recommend they are only supposed to be used as a full on and full off"

Only just read this after responding to your email! Told you they would say that. Wtf call it FLOW control then? ?

One thought...in the event of a failure of ANY concealed mixer it may mean tiles off etc. If you're needing the shower daily, don't have an alternative, have carers coming in etc then a good old surface mount, thermostatic mixer bar might be the way to go instead as easier to sort if a failure. Quick to replace on just a couple of stub pipes coming out the wall.  Fix it firmly and it might double as a grab rail. Probably just as likely to bang their head if they slip on concealed or surface.

lol it is a stupid way to describe an on/off valve - just call it what it is!

I'll run the surface mount past my Mum but I very much doubt she'll want it compared to a concealed ;)  

Edited by Vijay

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to a shower valve that my Mum likes and the manufacturer was happy to confim that the valves controls the flow. Crosswater techincal support have been brilliant.

Before I hit purchase, any reasons anyone can see that this valve wouldn't be good for the elderly with artritus? https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/crosswater-totti-triple-concealed-thermostatic-shower-valve-to2000rc