Homes under the hammer

nod

Just watched homes under the hammer 

A couple in Wales who have there own lettings and building companies Renovated a property for an investor 

Total wreck Back to brick New sash windows doors small extension NES kitchen bathroom re wire and plumb Boiler 

Full re plaster and damp course 

15 months Total spend 16K 

Even with lower regional wages I find some of these hard to believe 

Im sat here working out the CG for a rental that we are selling We fully done out 10 years ago 2k spent on an electrician to do the rewrite and £ 200 labour to straight swap the boiler 

We did the rest ourselves £11400 on materials If I had charged for labour we would have been close to 20k

Whilst these programs are good to watch 

They an be misleading 

• Like 1

Homes under the hammer is a bigger BBC scandal than Jimmy Saville and Martin Bashir put together. 

Thousands of episodes of fantasy, peddling bullshit to fools ill-equipped to be landlords and property speculators.

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My girlfriend had been watching Homes under the Hammer before she bought her house. Didnt mind that it was cold and damp and needed a new kitchen because she had seen how they all did a full renovation in a few months for less than 10 grand. ... then she started getting quotes and thought she was being ripped off.

• Like 1

It's easy tv and I like the quirky music they pick.

I wouldn't however make financial decisions based on the show, just as I wouldn't open an antiques shop after watching bargain hunt.

I heard somebody did a sponsorship marathon watch of the show, yesterday on radio 2. They said after 24 hours the colours and music started to have strange affects on them.

• Haha 1

We've all had the conversation with visitors to our sites.

Polite gushing , happy faces, big smiles....and .... wait for it 

"We've always wanted to self build,  BUT (...) " . Or just as frequent,  the selfbuild " ...blew our marriage to bits...". Sad.

I've come to see our selfbuild as a privilege and large slice of goodluck. And I am very grateful most days. 

But today, is a @Russell griffiths size growl day. A proper Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo day. 

Friday night, pub's open at last. Don't ring me early tomorrow please. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy HUTH.

Particularly when an agent says it's been decorated to a decent standard and the camera man zooms in on the light switch which was cut in by someone using a broom.

I agree though, when I see a 100 sqm block paved driveway, full replacement render and decoration throughout with kitchen and bathroom and it's cost them just several thousand and they have done none of the work themselves, my teeth start to itch.

Do aspire to be on there one day though.

• Like 1

I remember Property Ladder being full of similarly deluded people. Most of the time the rising property market was the majority of their profit - if they had sat tight and done nothing they would have made more money.

Friend worked on the crew from time to time - says the producers filtered out all the sensible people as they would not make good TV. 

Anyway, it's tabloid daytime TV for the unemployed and retired, best not to take too seriously.

• Like 1

Think it depends if you know where to get the bargains, if shopping off the peg and paying workers, no chance. Do remember a chap from London who had a place he was doing on the Orkneys, who picked up a bunch of windows from me, (which we had an excess of), on his way up there. That will have saved him a few thousands. Just for example.

Edited by Lorenz