Scrap value

Does the price vary as to whether it's "clean" or not? I've heard the term "bright".

I've a quantity of copper pipe, some bits are gloss painted. Also various bits of lead flashing some with paint, silicone remnants on. 

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Does the price vary as to whether it's "clean" or not? I've heard the term "bright".

It seems not to matter, I cleared out a shed here at millstone manor a few weeks back and and found I had £230 worth of scrap metal which took down to the guy in town, you will know the one opposite TESCO.

6 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

It seems not to matter, I cleared out a shed here at millstone manor a few weeks back and and found I had £230 worth of scrap metal which took down to the guy in town, you will know the one opposite TESCO.

Didn't know that one, thanks, Riverhead Tesco's? I'll swing by and have a look. Do you have to set up an account so it's all traceable? 

Last time I weighed scrap in was 30 years ago when I lived/worked in Dartford. There's is / was a scrappy just up from TLC at Pembury I've kept meaning to call in at for years now. 

Edit: Just googled that scrappy, must have driven past hundreds of times! ?

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I think the difference is keeping electric cable and copper pipe seperate.

Elec cable is purer and worth more than copper pipe,  unless you burn the insulation off. I always strip mine

10 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

I think the difference is keeping electric cable and copper pipe seperate.

Elec cable is purer and worth more than copper pipe,  unless you burn the insulation off. I always strip mine

Shouldn't that be worth *less* without removing the insulation?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I've a quantity of copper pipe, some bits are gloss painted. Also various bits of lead flashing some with paint, silicone remnants on. 

Bright copper isnt referring to polished, it is anything clean, stripped cable, copper pipe etc.

Burned is cable that has had the insulation taken off in a fire.

Cable is higher quality copper but the insulation isnt easy to remove and has to be disposed of so less/tonne than bright.

Lead with some paint on etc isnt a problem due to the mass of lead compared to the contaminants .

Copper is due to rise dramatically as worldwide demand is increasing.

I stripped the old house (2015) and took it all to the local metal dealer.

He separated copper pipe, tanks etc from what he called 'brazings' which was a mix of copper and brass - e.g. a brass tap with a length of copper attached. Did not want brass fittings on their own. Also sold him steel & lead.

My recollection was that there was not that much value in any of it, I think it was about £100 in total.

• 2 months later...

@MikeSharp01, evening. I'm planning to weigh in my lead, copper and brass tomorrow at that place opposite Tesco.

Reckon I've 25kg of lead, 16kg plus of copper and a bit of brass.

I believe it gets paid into a bank account. Will I have to take/show any identification?

Cheers

18 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

TBA I don't know, my friend who has a licence takes my stuff down there for me and he gives me a receipt  - I do know they no longer deal in cash so I would be ready for both an account and some ID.

Cheers. I'll go equipped then!

Just found another 10kg of copper and some more brass. 

• 1 year later...