Farts heading for heaven

MortarThePoint

Which route would you take? OK not you yourself, but which route would you let the foul smells take.

The Architects plan was to send the soil pipe down through the floor in the right hand corner of the bathroom (as viewed below) but we not have open space below now so don't want to put it there. As it's now going externally, we moved it close to the side of the chimney to reduce its visual impact, and that position is shown below. This is the furthest extent of the foul water system and so needs an SVP (not just AAV). We don't want to continue the stack outside and offset round the eave. We don't want the vent tile too close to the chimney so it likely needs to be towards the top right corner of the image below. I see two main options:

1. Route the main stack to SVP tile vent connection as shown below. 75mm horizontal run at floor level junctioning to a 75mm vertical run up to the vent.
  2. Route a vertical run of pipe (e.g. 75mm) up the top left corner of the image below and the turn horizontally in the roof space track along and the back to vertical above the right hand corner and to the vent tile.

image.png.0552f37488f420207a367cc4267a997d.png

After my experience, I would check again with BC on need for SVP.

I was all set to cut a hole in a GRP roof for a SVP but luckily had the BC on site for another reason and when it came up in discussion he said not to bother.

He said that the new build requirement is that 1 in 10 houses on the sewer have a SVP and every house having one is overkill. As houses either side of us and opposite have SVPs, he waived the requirement.

Your mileage may vary but worth a discussion.

Why a 75mm vent pipe? It’s only there to prevent (gurgling) and draining other traps, I would do that run in 50mm and take it up into a 50mm AAV in the loft. (It’s what I have done and it works just fine)

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Down here, after heavy rain, we just let it all flow into the harbour.

Frankly shared drains (shit and rain together) should never have been built, a bit late now but just saying!!,!

As Bitpipe said, worth a conversation with building control. I had 4 soil pipes and they all terminated in the loft space with an AAV. The recently qualified BC officer said One of them had to be to open air. I argued that as i together with 9 other houses were all on the same adopted waste service, that i didn't need to vent to air. She insisted i did. The chief BC officer got involved and said he saw my point, but insisted that as i could not control those properties, i had to have One of my soil pipes vented to air.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Why a 75mm vent pipe? It’s only there to prevent (gurgling) and draining other traps, I would do that run in 50mm and take it up into a 50mm AAV in the loft. (It’s what I have done and it works just fine)

I'm sure a 15mm pipe would work by 75mm is the reg. (copied in my previous post).

image.png.83108b8289daa06f615ace1cdd00b64f.png

Edited by MortarThePoint
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

After my experience, I would check again with BC on need for SVP.

I was all set to cut a hole in a GRP roof for a SVP but luckily had the BC on site for another reason and when it came up in discussion he said not to bother.

He said that the new build requirement is that 1 in 10 houses on the sewer have a SVP and every house having one is overkill. As houses either side of us and opposite have SVPs, he waived the requirement.

Your mileage may vary but worth a discussion.

And my BC insisted I cut a home in my zinc roof to facilitate this nonsense... so it's best checking what your random rule interpretation BC thinks is needed!

Excuse me some repetition.

The end vent pipe does 2 things.

Allows gas to escape from the sewage system if there is a blowback from fermenting stuff. You can't rely on anybody else's system working, and you might get everybody's.

It will smell and may force water out of your traps. Best that it shoots up in the air and away.

2. lets air in so that there is never a vacuum to prevent flow down your drains. Otherwise it will slow flow (causes blockage) and possibly empty your traps.

A Durgo valve does the latter, with a valve to prevent the former, and can be in the house. 

But you need one of the former at the end of the line. that is why one end pipe might suffice for a group of houses on the same system., depending on layout. I expect every house has one or more Durgo valves.

The same applies to a private treatment plant. So I think you do need to vent to air, at the end of the system, in case of blowback. Easiest in standard 4" unless the arrangements of the drains are very restrictive.

But you could possibly plead for a vent in the ground close to the treatment plant, plus Durgo indoors.

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Here's a random one:

If you're suffering from really bad trapped wind and weigh yourself, are you lighter than after you "release it"?

I think you'd be lighter after releasing it as it is under pressure inside you and so more dense than the air your extra volume would displace. If you were underwater though, you would become less buoyant after releasing it.

Edited by MortarThePoint