Workshop floor

Weegaz

Has anyone any suggestions on what to use as flooring in a domestic workshop attached to garage. It will be the 'man cave' to work on motorbikes etc.

Had thought of tiling as would be easy cleaned but floor paint may do same job.

I reckon it takes an hour to give a double garage a coat of paint - I paint one or two bricks up the wall and round the edge then the rest gets whacked on with a medium pile roller that goes straight in the bin - tray and all ...

If you are using it to work on bikes, I'd suggest some form of rubber flooring, you will be kneeling quite a lot, even with a lift.

Paint is your enemy, paddock stands will rip it apart continually, new boots will simply peel it up.

Seal the floor with PVA , or something even better, and put some rubber flooring down 

7 hours ago, Steptoe said:

If you are using it to work on bikes, I'd suggest some form of rubber flooring, you will be kneeling quite a lot, even with a lift.

Paint is your enemy, paddock stands will rip it apart continually, new boots will simply peel it up.

Seal the floor with PVA , or something even better, and put some rubber flooring down 

Maybe paint the whole floor and get a large rubber work mat cut, say 2.5m x 4.0 m, so your working on that and not directly on the floor? Also be a bit warmer in the winter. Oil and grease spills can be wiped up off that with ease, but the 2-pack floor paint is pretty damn good stuff for general wear and tear. 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Screwfix No Nonsense floor paint .... I've tried them all, including the expensive epoxy ones and I've no idea what they put in it but it's superb ..!

Is that a 2-part, or just open and apply?

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Is that a 2-part, or just open and apply?

Its a straight from the tin job - I was surprised when someone on a Landrover forum suggested it but it works. It's also not slippy like some of the epoxy ones can be. 

I've got some fairly thick rubber tiles to do just that - they sit in front of the bench and make standing for a long period much better ...

The Screwfix stuff is also cheap enough that you can do an annual garage clear out and repaint it in a morning as it's pretty quick drying.  I plan to do the new garage floor before a single thing goes in there ....

who am I kidding ...??!

I was annoyed when I built my garage as I wanted a power floated concrete floor ( had one before and it's great) then painted but the concrete went off faster than we guessed so the power floater just bounced off the surface. I have painted it but the surface of the concrete is not as tough as would be if smoother ?.

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I was annoyed when I built my garage as I wanted a power floated concrete floor ( had one before and it's great) then painted but the concrete went off faster than we guessed so the power floater just bounced off the surface. I have painted it but the surface of the concrete is not as tough as would be if smoother ?.

PVA it and give it a 3-4mm coat of latex, then paint the latex ? It'll be like a snooker table then. 

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

who am I kidding ...??!

Second year with no man shed so I know what you mean ?

• Like 1

I used SBR to dust proof the raw concrete bathroom floor. No dust issue any more. This as I'd heard PVA is maybe not the best if you're going to tile later.

For the double garage I aquired over the years numerous shades of grey floor paint. All single pack and different makes. First I rotary wire brushed and vacuumed the floor clean. I tipped the lot into a 5 gallon fermenting bin and used a soft broom head to spread. Came up a treat. 

Effed it up recently when a 5L tin of red oxide fell over and spilt. Not full luckily and was able to peel it off in pretty much one sheet. Took off the floor paint too right back to the concrete!

Squirrel problem in the eaves I think. The place stinks. Plus it's more storage than workspace.

Edited by Nickfromwales
SRB to SBR ?

44 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hoover and prime the concrete or the latex will come up ;)

I have already painted the floor which is good, not as flat as I would like but because the surface of the concrete is not as tough anything sharp tends to scratch the paint. As it's being used by the builders I am going to wait till they have finished then decide what to do. Do you think the latex will take on top of the floor paint? ( single pack).

The last boat I built I used some water-based two pack epoxy floor paint to finish the interior and floors.  I'm so impressed with the stuff that it's what I'm going to use in the new garage/workshop.  Not as expensive as some epoxy floor paints, either, my only reservation with the stuff is that it is quite thick and fairly hard work with a roller, but it does give a fairly non-slip and extremely tough finish.  It was this stuff: http://www.resinstore.com/conseal-utility.html.

I have the click together rubber mats which the bike stand will sit on, and enough to give me a working space around it.

Painting sounds like a better job than tiling due to dropping tools and cracking and chipping and as mentioned, can clear it would and paint again once a year of required.

thanks for the info folks