RPZ valve and backflow

fiaraziqbal

Hi all i have managed to complete my own sewage application to scottosh water for a new connection(which was fun!)

as i am settinng up a farm i want/need a water supply for my livestock.  as such i need to prevent backflow.  i was looking at an RPZ valve.  

Has anyone used such a system and if so what would you recommend?

Regards

fiaraz

Edited by fiaraziqbal

42 minutes ago, fiaraziqbal said:

as i am settinng up a farm i want/need a water supply for my livestock.  as such i need to prevent backflow.  i was looking at an RPZ valve.  

So if you’re running water to feeder troughs then they already must have an air break built in with the float valve, but you can add standard double check valves - not expensive and you can get them with 3/4” threads so can make your own with MDPE fittings. 

https://www.bes.co.uk/double-check-valve-non-return-3-4-bsp-dzr-8220/

Pipestock are best for MDPE fittings and if you’re setting up then a big box of joiners, elbows and spares isn’t a bad thing to have about the place along with a spare reel of 25mm Black MDPE

https://www.pipestock.com/mdpe/mdpe-pipe-fittings

Depending on your land and setup, try and run each field or group from a single line back to the property and fit isolators. This stops your leaks becoming an issue if you have to switch the whole of the water off due to a burst pipe. Not sure if SW do a farm supply but you don’t want to be metered on sewage rated to the water supply rate as you’ll be massively over paying. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

So if you’re running water to feeder troughs then they already must have an air break built in with the float valve, but you can add standard double check valves - not expensive and you can get them with 3/4” threads so can make your own with MDPE fittings. 

https://www.bes.co.uk/double-check-valve-non-return-3-4-bsp-dzr-8220/

Pipestock are best for MDPE fittings and if you’re setting up then a big box of joiners, elbows and spares isn’t a bad thing to have about the place along with a spare reel of 25mm Black MDPE

https://www.pipestock.com/mdpe/mdpe-pipe-fittings

Depending on your land and setup, try and run each field or group from a single line back to the property and fit isolators. This stops your leaks becoming an issue if you have to switch the whole of the water off due to a burst pipe. Not sure if SW do a farm supply but you don’t want to be metered on sewage rated to the water supply rate as you’ll be massively over paying. 

should have really stated that all i want is a tap..time to edit the post!

Ok so if you want to have taps in livestock areas you need to ensure category 5 separation. That’s air gap so any tap would either have to be fed from a break tank or you would need to get it to feed troughs with float valves. Fecal residue from animals is the worst type of contamination so you need to ensure you follow the regs carefully. 

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ok so if you want to have taps in livestock areas you need to ensure category 5 separation. That’s air gap so any tap would either have to be fed from a break tank or you would need to get it to feed troughs with float valves. Fecal residue from animals is the worst type of contamination so you need to ensure you follow the regs carefully. 

Thanks, from what you are saying a RPZ valve would not be sufficient?

1 minute ago, fiaraziqbal said:

Thanks, from what you are saying a RPZ valve would not be sufficient?

So an RPZ is only usable if you have it installed and maintained by an accredited installer. But as an RPZ valve is only suitable to category 4, and you want category 5, then you have to use air gaps. 

Anglian Water do a decent guide - SW should have one too but the principles of WRAS are the same. 

Is this your first venture into farming ..??

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

So an RPZ is only usable if you have it installed and maintained by an accredited installer. But as an RPZ valve is only suitable to category 4, and you want category 5, then you have to use air gaps. 

Anglian Water do a decent guide - SW should have one too but the principles of WRAS are the same. 

Is this your first venture into farming ..??

yes, i have just retired as a head teacher and have taught Physics and maths to Alevel and Animal management.  Now to put the theory in to practice!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2021 at 19:07, PeterW said:

That’s quite an odd mix ..!! 

What animals are you going for and how much land have you got ..?

yes i know, staered teaching Chemistry then allthe others were bolted on due to staff shotages at one point or another.  ANmal managemen is something that i always wanted to do at school  and benig senior managemnt was really good fun getting stick in.

Rabbits chickens horese goats.. and a few omre here and their