SW Scotland Self Build Starter Help

Hello,

I am trying to find more information on how to go about building my own home.

Online research has given me various different requirements and I'd like to know more about the specific process, ie the order of doing things and realistic expectations. 

I have been looking at land plots but I'm unsure of how I should get started.

I live in SW Scotland and plan to build here. I'm not very clued up on the process as everything I've found online is geared towards England or they don't match the advice I've read elsewhere.

Thank you in advance. 

Hi @rebeccajane17 - welcome to the forum. This is certainly the place in which to gain a further understanding of the self build process and all that goes with it. From your post it seems you are starting from a very low base knowledge wise, so I suggest you try and break down the areas you wish to "understand" a bit more about, into bite sized chunks if that makes sense.

With self building, there are many elements and yes it is important to understand where they all fit together. From a starting point, I suggest the best thing you can do is to continue with your "reading" - be it monthly magazines, blogs on here [Mine might be of use to you?] and online research. 

With that in mind, start researching the availability of plots in your chosen area, consider the price and then your budgets. How is the project going to be financed? What are your options?

Then couple all that with specific questions / reading of past questions on this forum. 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the friendly, helpful club. There is so much to know. After 45 years in the industry I am still learning, including a lot from the members on Buildhub.

I suggest you find contributors here who have done something similar, and then absorb knowledge and advice.

A blog of the whole process is particularly useful, especially the summaries on completion.

My first tip is from recent experience of buying a plot. 

The lauded Scottish system of buying, with fixed offers and acceptance does not appear to apply to land and conversion sites. Two  places that had been on the market for many years with little interest suddenly had 'lots of interest' ,and better offers, exceeding the suggested sum.  

Moral: you have to study the possibilities very thoroughly, but also don't get too attached.

And the second is COST. I think most projects go a long way over budget. The site has to be the right price but also influences the building. 

Good luck, and ask questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum

I would recommend getting the Housebuilder's Bible to give you a decent summary of all the steps included in planning and building your own home.  It contains a "Pitfalls" chapter that includes warts and all information and tips on finding, assessing and buying sites; access & services; planning issues; and costs.  If you're still up for the challenge after reading that then explore more here and at sites such as Homebuilding & Renovating.

Redoctober's blog is excellent at showing all the stages of a build and there are many other Scottish based self-builders around to offer advice.

• Thanks 2

Thank you all for your advice.

I am just a super amateur. My budget would be around 200k but I have a backup 50k as needed. 

I'm just not very clued up on plot prices. An area of interedt has similar sized plots right beside each other and the price differences are huge despite no real reason? It seems like a big ocean of information and I wasn't sure where to start but I'll check out those blogs and books, thank you! 

Seeing the potential of competing plots is interesting.

There could be a technical reason, or the view, or access, or simply that one of the vendors has got it wrong.

Too cheap and it would be gone already.

A common difference is if the site is 'serviced', ie has water and  power already. That can cost tens of thousands.