Hanging Curtain Pole on UPVC Window

Hey Folks,

One of the less pressing issues in life but we need curtains! We have a large gable window and wish to hang curtains on the 'bottom half' (5 vertical windows), this issue being we need a fixing in the middle of the span which is 4.30 metres across between the walls, obviously the curtains need support in the middle of this.

The only solution I can see is to fix the curtain pole bracket to the reinforcement beam which travels horizontally across the entire span which separates the top and bottom of the gable window. This beam is covered in plastic cover and is made of metal.

My question is do you think this is a good idea drilling into this beam? It would only be for 3 screws, I was thinking those self taping techfast screws...

I have attached pictures to help explain myself better!

thumbnail_IMG_6296.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6297.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6300.jpg

If a lightweight curtain / voile (assuming for privacy being half way down ) have you thought about No Nails pads, or similar.  Effectively glue the centre support bracket on.  I think you can get removable pads too that obviously wouldn’t create a mess afterwards, if it didn’t create sufficient support. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bozza said:

If a lightweight curtain / voile (assuming for privacy being half way down ) have you thought about No Nails pads, or similar.  Effectively glue the centre support bracket on.  I think you can get removable pads too that obviously wouldn’t create a mess afterwards, if it didn’t create sufficient support. 

I think for the size of the curtain the weight could be an issue although like you say maybe they are worth a try! I think I might go order some now....