Something nice happened today.

We had a visit from the OS  (Ordinance Survey) .

Nice old guy asked permission to survey us, and got on with it.  Accurate to a few mm apparently.  So I jumped at the chance and asked him to survey our boundary wall.  Which he did . 

That might well have avoided a few sets of solicitors fees in hundred years time then innit?

20210511_123026.thumb.jpg.8df6d7d6d15248d013a31b4d8a7f7468.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Would it change anything if you'd built the wall in the wrong place? ...

Well, in our case no. We own both sides of the wall.

But, I take your point: I could have erroneously or otherwise have misdirected the guy. And that, well that would be a n i g h t m a r e

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

We had a visit from the OS  (Ordinance Survey) .

Nice old guy asked permission to survey us, and got on with it.  Accurate to a few mm apparently

exactly the same experience about 5 years ago, really nice old guy who was very helpful.
Did he give you a reason for turning up ? In my case he was instructed by council to do the survey as something had been brought to there attention that had raised a “red flag”  anyway he came did the survey and everybody was happy so that was that. 

30 minutes ago, Cpd said:

...Did he give you a reason for turning up ? ...

No, he didn't.

He offered the interesting perspective on satellite surveys, though. Apparently now one pixel from a satellite photo (taken for the OS)  gives an error of up to 40mm. In his opinion, nowhere near good enough yet.

Which is why he is spending his retirement pootling round Lancashire with one of those GPS lollipops. Very nice way to get yersel out and about in retirment. 

They must have visited here when nobody was in, because the Land Registry maps have a very accurate footprint of the house marked, and also the footprint of the static caravan.

The LR maps also show the house name, I wonder who told them? we didn't

47 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Apparently now one pixel from a satellite photo (taken for the OS)  gives an error of up to 40mm. In his opinion, nowhere near good enough yet.

When I did my survey course at university, I think they said OS tried to get an accuracy of 3mm either way.

13 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

He knew our house name...  maybe he consulted the LA database?

That will be the LA database that I know exists, but because I have not paid my £150 to Highland Council, they will not tell Royal main.  But everyone else has been told.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I struggle to see why one would need 3mm or even 4mm accuracy for such maps vs 40mm. 

Professional British Pride.

Better than the US forces maps, they can take out the wrong embassy without any problems.

• Like 1