Granite internal window sill

Pocster

We had ours from Philip Bines who is near Melksham and they do work in Bristol . we did the whole house so offcuts were not enough . We fitted them prior to plastering . We had kitchen worktop to match - did not plan this in the begining ! 

window_cill_2.jpg

window cill 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Is it me or is it them ? Ffs 

Sill in . I gave them depth from window to edge of plasterboard because I didn’t know how ‘big ‘ the nibs are .

They’ve cut it but included the nib returns in the total depth not added them .

Obviously it will be my fault . Was thinking anyway if silicone along that edge looked crap would fit some nice chrome bead - guess I’ll have too now .

Guess I can’t measure anything correctly ?

3E0C1C29-E272-41D4-BB9F-3F4C1B475460.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Did you send a drawing .?

if not then you will need to put it in the pile with the drive on glass. 

No

i emailed dimensions ( with no nib )

When I went in to choose granite guy drew a sketch and put those measurements on it . He added the nib and I didn’t notice I.e ask him to add the nib depth to the overall depth . So my fault I guess . Not to worry though !

???

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily we fitted the granite cills before the plasterboard so no nibs, just rectangles of granite that were boarded and skimmed to - this way the tolerances can be pretty wide with up to 12.5mm ish on the length (great if your walls are not perfectly square). Isn't foresight a great thing - our plasterers  told us they would get a much neater finish this way ?

And as an FYI for those who dont know and are fitting the cills themselves - surprisingly granite is quite a fragile material and can easily snap under its own (not inconsiderable) weight if you carry it 'flat', so always carry it (and store it) vertically i.e. 'edge down', and strap it to some timber or ply if it needs really awkward manoeuvring.  And if you need very long cills then perhaps specify them in sections and make a silicon joint that lines up with the mullions - for us and our wide window it was much easier to carry three small sections up a ladder!

On 30/06/2021 at 15:08, Russell griffiths said:

I thought that, but wondered if @pocster would understand, so decided to keep my mouth shut. 

I didn’t want to do that . I thought it would look crap . I fitted it “ as is “ and will just use some slim metal trim at the rear . I like metal trim .