Shadow gaps around window boards?

We are planning to have shadow gaps around the skirting board and door frames but are not sure about the window boards.  It seems odd to me to have flush skirting and frames and then to have a window board that protrudes. I can find no images of shadow gaps around window boards - has anyone done this?

Have you seen such a finish?

From your description I'm picturing the edge of the board flush with the main wall plane, but then a recess around the board making it appear to be sitting proud. 

You may need to sketch what you are hoping to achieve. 

3 hours ago, PI build said:

We are planning to have shadow gaps ... but are not sure about the window boards.  ...

Put a '... skirting... '  with a shadow gap  where the window board would have been.... ? FrigginFiddly methinks. Or have I missed something?

I love the idea. But, tell ya why I wouldn't get away with it: she couldn't put enough seed trays on a small window board ... ?

Here's the closest I could nick in less than a minute: looks nice - PITA to clean.

1960133126_closestIcanget.jpg.115692274d56a950d44d63c6ce0c6540.jpg

and

1576495603_closestIcanget1.jpg.8b932b30116d831423e9e89b61da8aa7.jpg

Edited by ToughButterCup

Yes I've done it in my own house and others. Some of the below photos are before moving in and they window surrounds were cleaned or shadow gaps tidied but you get the idea.

Edit: one of the below is veneered MDF and the other is Birch ply so you've options.

IMG_20180727_181942.thumb.jpg.f68ec68246815839e841b8d32a55f536.jpg

IMG_9830.thumb.jpg.f48615b686855c2b8fd3685374172892.jpg

IMG_20190815_171318.thumb.jpg.080aa9c0602278ec6098874398883587.jpg

Edited by Dudda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dudda said:

Yes I've done it in my own house and others. Some of the below photos are before moving in and they window surrounds were cleaned or shadow gaps tidied but you get the idea.

That is really sharp @Dudda

Next time the corners will be mitred I bet ....?

13 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

That is really sharp @Dudda

Next time the corners will be mitred I bet ....?

Not a hope in hell. It was very difficult to do that as is. First project each part was put in individually. It was a refurbishment and the walls weren't plum and blockwork so rough. Incredibly hard. Second project was a new timber framed house. This was easier and the walls were more plumb and timber made it easier. The surrounds were made up in a workshop and lifted into place.

For some of them we have in the top part a recessed cut out in the top of the timber which is where the blind is. This has to be designed in early enough as you could have structure or a DPC above the window in the way. Another one has birch ply shutters incorporated into the sides that disappear when open. Again this was difficult but looks well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dudda said:

Edit: one of the below is veneered MDF and the other is Birch ply so you've options.

IMG_20180727_181942.thumb.jpg.f68ec68246815839e841b8d32a55f536.jpg

IMG_20190815_171318.thumb.jpg.080aa9c0602278ec6098874398883587.jpg

I was planning on doing similar birch ply lining for our reveals but not with a shadow gap, instead an extra strip of ply around the edge that protrudes to make a double thickness that would cover the plasterboard edge, if you follow me. 

Thanks for the photos - it looks great. 

It was thinking of just having a timber window board and plastered reveals. I did a quick model on CAD:

image.png.48109fc91bafb8b8a036c726d9ef3bea.png

Window frames are anthracite and the board would match.

I cannot box all round as the windows go up to the ceiling:

IMG_0334.JPG

5 hours ago, Dudda said:

Not a hope in hell...

Its fun tweeking members' tails gently. I looked at that image and winced.

corner.jpg.d9fb6a577d225c778188687d4bb2e93d.jpg

It's not easy .... but a bit of me says that it's likely just  as hard to get two 45s to meet as cleanly as the 90s do in the image above. 

Need @Onoff to try, or Ed ( @Construction Channel ) maybe? 

What could go wrong Ed? 

5 hours ago, Dudda said:

.... Another one has birch ply shutters incorporated into the sides that disappear when open. ....

Come On! Photo, please.

2 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

It's not easy .... but a bit of me says that it's likely just  as hard to get two 45s to meet as cleanly as the 90s do in the image above. 

What could go wrong Ed? 

Come On! Photo, please.

Or a locking joint done on a router table.

54 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

51 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Or a locking joint done on a router table.

Possibly but beyond my level of skill and equipment.

1 hour ago, PI build said:

Thanks for the photos - it looks great. 

It was thinking of just having a timber window board and plastered reveals. I did a quick model on CAD:

image.png.48109fc91bafb8b8a036c726d9ef3bea.png

Window frames are anthracite and the board would match.

I cannot box all round as the windows go up to the ceiling:

The problem I see with this is it's very 'bitty'. By that I mean the two lengths of shadow gap at each side of the window (so four in total) are only about 30mm long all with 45 degree cuts and then the other is the depth of the reveal which wouldn't be long either. It would be very messy and difficult to get straight and clean looking. You kind of need them to be a decent length to be able to fit them straight and level. In theory it can be done but in practice I'd expect this to be very difficult to get looking right.

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

What could go wrong Ed? 

Come On! Photo, please.

With that kind of joint you cam tell everyone that its dovetailed and they will never know any different

• Like 1