is it better to 'size' or 'seal' old plaster walls?

TryC

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me any advice on how best to prep my old walls.

I stripped off all the wallpaper and am currently peeling scraping of the peeling paint off some of the walls.

I had planned to use sugar soap to clean the walls - probably old wallpaper paste residue, then seal it by diluting the seal before lining then eventually papering or painting it.

But now I have been advised by a decorator that I don't need to clean off the walls, just to leave it as it is. He suggested that I stop peeling the paint off and suggested that I would making unnecessary work for myself. That I should put some easifill on the bumpy paint patches then sand down and line it.

After that, I should 'size' the walls with diluted wallpaper paste (like all purpose Solvite paste), so that when it comes to lining it, I can 'move' the paper if it needs moving.

Please can anyone tell me if I should indeed 'seal' it or ' size' the walls please?

Thanks.

Doggy doing things over old wallpaper paste, if it was mine I would scrape, wash and sugar soap, then clean water wash, easyfill, sand, if lining then size, I might well seal with thinned pva first, then line, allow to dry then paint 

12 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

Doggy doing things over old wallpaper paste, if it was mine I would scrape, wash and sugar soap, then clean water wash, easyfill, sand, if lining then size, I might well seal with thinned pva first, then line, allow to dry then paint 

Thanks for the tips!! decorating sure takes a lot of effort. I really do have a new found respect for decorators doing this day in day out. But not so much for the ones who let you down and don't turn up and ghost you after agreeing for the job. Now diddums is left to do it themselves hence all the questions!

they initially said that they had an industrial sander for the walls with the old paste - connected to a suction pipe, that could be used - which is what was quoted for.

but on the walls in other rooms, i was just told to just leave it and not bother and just line, then paper or paint!

On 11/05/2021 at 06:12, tonyshouse said:

That would work, nice if wall is filled and flat before lining, 

Hi,

does anyone know if screwfix make good is the same/does the same thing as gyproc easifill?

Thanks