General order of works

Hoping to get a little guidance from some of the experienced hands here.

Our TF is going up in a matter of weeks and want to understand the best order to schedule the trades immediately following the TF going up.

It is worth noting that I am planning on completing a number of the jobs; laying floor insulation, installing UFH, installing MVHR and laying the roof covering (interlocking tile).

Initially, I had expected the following order of works:

> TF finished

> floor insulation

> UFH

> install MVHR

> screed

> plumber/sparky/chippie              > lay roof covering

The thought behind this would be to get the floor structure finished so trades could move around the build on a solid floor to complete first fix. All tasks immediately after the TF going up would be completed by myself, and once the screeders come in, move up on to the roof and allow the trades inside.

Issue 1: Is it better to secure studwork to the slab (therefore before screeding and insulation) or directly on to the screed (65mm screed if this makes a difference)?

Issue 2: I had a site meeting with our TF erector over the weekend who mentioned to get the roof covering on before the screeders come in. They said the main reason for this is for weather tightness - they'd have the membrane and sarking installed, but without the roof covering, it wouldn't be 100% weather tight. If it therefore rained, leaking on to a wet screed, it could affect the surface finish.

Q - I presume the surface of the screed is only susceptible for the first 24-48 hours until it firms? On the above schedule, screeding would be expected mid-July, so more likely not to rain than rain (he says!), so worth taking the gamble?

I'd like to avoid delaying the plumber/sparky/chippie coming on site, so could move the screeding later and having studwork completed first of all (if that is advised):

> TF finished

> studwork (if securing to slab is advisable)

> floor insulation

> UFH

> install MVHR

> plumber/sparky/chippie              > lay roof covering

> screed

The only issue I see with this is:

i) it involved trades working over exposed UFH pipes potentially leading to issues with pieced pipework, and

ii) the joiner isn't yet organised (it is a nightmare to get a joiner in our area) would likely need to complete studwork myself on this changed schedule. I'd like to avoid taking on too much, but would consider completing studwork if required. How have others found studwork to complete? Easy with care or best left to the pros?

Hopefully things become a little clearer with advise and discussion here. TIA

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

TF (with windows / doors..?)

Roof

Insulation

UFH

Screed

Studwork

MVHR

Sparks/Plumber

Yes, TF inc window and doors.

I was wanting to have trades inside whilst I'm up on the roof. I'm allowing myself 4-5 weeks to have the roof complete, and pushing this first of all (with nothing happening inside) would essentially delay the project by 4-5 weeks. Our funding has come through the Scottish Government so has a deadline attached - after which the interest is hiked - so cannot really take a 4-5 week delay if that can be avoided.

If it's advisable to get the roof on asap, how about:

TF
Roof       Electric/Plumber

Insulation

UFH

Screed
Studwork
MVHR

Or if all studwork needs to be in place for the plumber/electrician, have the studwork slotted in to the schedule after the TF?

Edited by djcdan

You can’t start inside without a decent roof covering - are you doing it yourself ..?? You could notionally build block sleeper walls for the stud work to work off and then install stud work and the other trades can start but you need that roof on ASAP. 

• Like 1

You need the roof on as soon as the frame is up to load the structure, you will probably stick 3-4 tonne of materials on that roof. 

Then the rest as peter said. 

How can the plumbers and electricians come in without studwork up, where are they going to run pipes,cables. What are you fixing sockets to, you cannot hang them in thin air. 

Roof on. 

Insulation

ufh

screed

studwork 

mvhr

plumber- electrician same time. 

Mvhr before other services always as its bigger duct and needs the most space. 

• Like 2

Don't do the UFH and screening until you've brought any services through the floor - e.g. waste pipe and electrics to a kitchen island.

I'm doing the first first MVHR and plumbing at the minute so when the stud wall guys come I'm ready to get services in walls along with the spark. They're only giving us 1 week between studs going up and final  plasterboarding so we need to be on the ball!!

We're planning UFH and then screening after all plasterboarding etc is completed. You don't want to be scraping lumps of plaster or cement off your £17m² liquid screed floor.

3 hours ago, djcdan said:

@PeterW @Russell griffithsgriffithsgrgriffithsgr

Lucky bastard getting screed at £17/m2 ?. We're paying near double this as we're rural so our screeders are doing a 290 mile roundtrip!

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

£18 per m traditional screed with fibres. 

The lads that did mine travelled for 1-1/2 hours to get to me, they said they do it every day. 

The quote for 100mm sand and cement screed was £12/m² ?