M-stone/Silestone - sourcing small offcut

My late wife and I moved into a house with lovely Apollo Quartz kitchen worktops. The material used was AP Quartz (group 2) Portland Grey. Unfortunately, this is long discontinued and the manufacturer is unable to assist further.

I wish to bridge a gap in the upstand across a window, as water runs off the back edge of the worktop down the back of the cabinet.

I would need a piece 1052mm (allowing 1 mm fitting gap either side between the existing pieces, maybe 2 mm is safer?) x 80 mm high x 20mm thick, with a 2mm bevel on the top front edge. The existing pieces either side have a bevel on the front side edges. The new piece could either be bevelled to match, giving a small v-junction either side, or could have square sides and I fill the notch where it abuts the existing side edges (assuming a matching filler is available).

We have been looking for a suitable match among most of the current ranges of composite quartz products. The nearest match I have found is M-Stone from Bushboard in Pewter Stone. Similar products that may be close could be:
Simply Quartz Alexis Grey
Simpy Quartz Dark Grey
Silestone Amazon Quartz
Silestone Cemento Spa Quartz
Compac Warm Functional

None of the kitchen suppliers or manufacturers I have spoken with ar able to supply such a small piece. Doe anyone have any suggestion where I may be able to source one?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 09:28, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Speak to Sheffield Solid Surfaces, they may well be able to help with this.

Thanks, I did but sadly, they have nothing like this in stock.

Happy to hear from any other fitters, providers or sources...

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2021 at 21:40, goldnet said:

Thanks, I did but sadly, they have nothing like this in stock.

Happy to hear from any other fitters, providers or sources...

My workplace does not have any of the off cuts you have requested but to have some that are similar. Your best bet would to be pop into all the stone fabricators around you. You can call them and ask but sometimes you may just be talking to someone lazy or busy.

A lot of companies import Quartz from China. Usually from manufacturers who adhere to the Asian legislations for it to be sold on the market. It is cost effective solution for customers who do not care about the brand and for companies to break even on material and make the money off labour involved.

Basically, by popping in, you may even come across an offcut that is unbranded and could also look similar to what you are after.

Could I kindly request you also post a upload of the Apollo Portland Grey for me? Was hoping to find it on Google.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 15:32, stoneguy said:

My workplace does not have any of the off cuts you have requested but to have some that are similar. Your best bet would to be pop into all the stone fabricators around you. You can call them and ask but sometimes you may just be talking to someone lazy or busy.

A lot of companies import Quartz from China. Usually from manufacturers who adhere to the Asian legislations for it to be sold on the market. It is cost effective solution for customers who do not care about the brand and for companies to break even on material and make the money off labour involved.

Basically, by popping in, you may even come across an offcut that is unbranded and could also look similar to what you are after.

Could I kindly request you also post a upload of the Apollo Portland Grey for me? Was hoping to find it on Google.

Thanks for the advice. Got a hint of popping in when I spoke to one company on the phone - they don't ship, you have to collect. They were about 250 miles away!

When you say the quartz is imported, my worktop is quartz/resin composite. Are these actually produced by crushing the Chinese quartz or whatever then mixing with resin and 'pouring'? There's no quartz worktop that's cut as marble or grantine for example?

I've attached a photo of the worktop and upstand with a white sheet of paper in front and a blue-green wall behind. The little sample piece is the M-stone in my original post. It's close but with more of a black dot speckle than the more uniform original. I also had an internet search and couldn't find the Sheridan Apollo original either - probably discontinued over 5-6 years ago. The kitchen was refurbished in around 2010/11.

IMG_2870.jpg