Water company have got in a strop

dogman

Just had a visit from the water company about failing to notify them of disconnection following demolition 

Lady was taking photographs and gathering evidence for some sort of action against us. She had identification.

I did point out that she had no authority enter the site and that if she wished to check rather than assuming she would find out that we are on a private bore hole and private drainage.

The information she had came from the local building control which shows that we had stated on the demolition notice "private water and drainage" 

The local authority also know we have a borehole as they inspect and test it and also have it properly registered

Well we had a similar situation, we have a well on site ( may or may not use it but have put water pipes into the build if we decide to use mains water) we suddenly got a bill from the water authority so I called them and asked why they sent me a bill?, they told me the planners had informed them of the development and so we MUST have had water connected. I explained we had our own supply but had also run a water pipe around the site in case we wanted mains water in the future. They agreed they had no record of an application for a connection?????They deleted the account!.

Edited by joe90

When you send in a demolition notice you are obliged to send the statutory undertakers notice so they can take amy action they need to I guess you did that but didn't do water as you did not need to. Building control also have a duty to do this. Looks like BC did not spot that the water was not supplied and just wrote to them out if habit. When the water company could not tie this up with a communication from you they reacted think that is somewhat reassuring in the sense that their system worked even if it was triggered by a BC error.