Weather resistant cladding in coastal location

Homer

Hello we have moved to a house close to the North Cornwall coast and have been advised against using aluminium due to corrosion.  We have also been told that 'Cedral' cladding is a good idea, but I am surprised because all the profiles are aluminium...Surely that won't last, even if the actual cladding boards do?  Does anyone have experience with this please?  I am wondering if all the 'cedral' cladded houses we have seen (all look pretty new) will suffer due to the corrosion of the aluminium parts.

Cheers,

Homer

Some of the composite cladding looks good and also the cement board cladding 

Both are unaffected by severe weather 

I did one last year in Cedar I don’t think I would use it on my own home For the reasons you have highlighted 

29C5E6C9-69DD-4C17-BDB6-D2108886D7D7.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Homer said:

cedral

Don't they make a fibrous cement product?

Aluminium generally, does not corrode, but if the wrong fittings are used there can be an electrolysis problem.

Also, how close to the coast, and how high up.  The big waves come in from the SW.

• Like 1

Yes, the fibrous cement product part is fine, but all the profiles that you have to use to put it up are made of aluminium.  We are less than a mile from the sea in an exposed position on the North Cornwall coast - surfers heaven - Aluminium fittings- door handle etc- on the uPVC sliding doors already pitted, clearly affected by the salty air and the window fitters have all advised against getting aluminium as it needs regular washing down to keep it looking good.

Edited by Homer

One of our jobs has a engineered wood cladding that is fixed with a stainless steel clip system It comes with a 25 year guarantee But at £50 per length Isn’t cheap 

13 minutes ago, nod said:

One of our jobs has a engineered wood cladding that is fixed with a stainless steel clip system It comes with a 25 year guarantee But at £50 per length Isn’t cheap 

Sounds good though as long as the wood lasts  The stainless steel part def. sounds good...I think it may be worth paying the extra so as to avoid having to replace all the profiles at some point...  Do you know the name of the product please?

Edited by Homer

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Sounds good though as long as the wood lasts  The stainless steel part def. sounds good...I think it may be worth paying the extra so as to avoid having to replace all the profiles at some point...  Do you know the name of the product please?

I’ve to call on there tomorrow afternoon 

I’ll have a look 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homer said:

surfers heaven

Claimed by most North Coast places, except Portreath, which is a poo filled sewer, and Trevaunance Cove, which is the same, but we don't care as anyone that moves to St. Agnes gets all they deserve.  

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Claimed by most North Coast places, except Portreath, which is a poo filled sewer, and Trevaunance Cove, which is the same, but we don't care as anyone that moves to St. Agnes gets all they deserve.  

Thankfully we aren't there!  

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

These are often factory finished with paint apart from the ones that are concealed.

Will that be OK then?  Do you know if aluminium corrosion is more than surface deep - ie will it weaken it?  If it is just unsightly but doesn't affect the strength (and will last as long as the fibre concrete boards do) then that is fine.  Thank you for your advice BTW.

If your going for Aluminium it seems that power coating Aluminium is the best way forward and as SteamyTea says avoid electrolysis (which does not mean torturing you sister) 

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

power

I think thats powder coating. 

As soon as you get close to the sea all the guarentees start to wither. Have a look at the fine print. We will have powder coated aluminium gutters and the manufacturer - very reputable, won't offer more than 10 years corrosion guarentee cos we are within 1km of sea. Normal would be 30 years IIRC.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

As soon as you get close to the sea all the guarentees start to wither. Have a look at the fine print. We will have powder coated aluminium gutters and the manufacturer - very reputable, won't offer more than 10 years corrosion guarentee cos we are within 1km of sea. Normal would be 30 years IIRC.

I think that's guarantees  ? (Sorry MikeSharp01couldn't resist)

And yes as ever the devil is in the detail!

1 minute ago, Homer said:

This is reassuring, thanks

As I said, the problem is really the use of dissimilar metals.

I am sure with a bit of hunting about the correct fixings can be found. Or just use nylon battens.