Structural beam conversion table?

Hi...I am new so hope this is the correct section for my enquiry.

I am wanting to knock down a wall between my kitchen and my dining room so as to create a "kitchen-diner" I live in a detached chalet style property with a steep pitch to the roof.I have been informed by a friend (a retired surveyor) that I will need to put a beam across the two metre odd span to support the floor joists and studwork bedroom wall of the first floor which rest on the wall at present.

He took some measurements and gave them to a friend of his who is an Architect and has come back to me with a small drawing and the information that I will need a 225mm x 100mm wooden beam...my question is, Is there a table that I can use (or a formula) to convert the wooden beam to as small as possible section steel beam so that I can have a smaller profile on the ceiling??

Or is what I am trying to do not as simple as a straight conversion of the cross section of the beam and changing material...the beam would obviously be the same length...anyone out there with the knowledge I would be very grateful??

Edited by Munka

Buiding Control will normally want to see evidence the beam has been specified by a professional. I would see if your mate knows an SE or get the Architect to do it.