Understanding (hopefully) plasterboard options for ceiling

35 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

have you checked for "other brand" options or just BG?

Similar story unfortunately. I don't think Knauf of Sinai GTEC do a combined sound and fire board.

Like a lot of self builders, I think I find myself discussing niche products with suppliers which when times are like they are now are just deprioritised. I don't know, but I'd guess BG produce dozens of WallBoards for every SoundBloc they make, let alone SoundBloc F.

Edited by MortarThePoint

Considering this article on the BG website (admittedly about walls), the sound attenuation in dB is linear with plasterboard mass. I have plotted the points they identify below and extrapolated some other makeups.

Two layers of 12.5mm WallBoard has better performance than one layer of 15mm SoundBloc F and is slightly cheaper. Probably not when the additional screws are factored in. It is thicker which is a negative, but probably wouldn't be noticed. Installation effort is debateable as lifting a 23kg plasterboard sheet twice is arguably less effort than lifting one 41kg plasterboard sheet. WallBoard is more available however so that may mean I have to go that route.

All of this is a gross oversimplification as the acoustic benefits can't be fully appreciated in a single number, but it could be indicative.

image.png.e72d71a647be53a254afb1879b097f62.png

Edited by MortarThePoint

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

Two layers of 12.5mm WallBoard has better performance than one layer of 15mm SoundBloc F and is slightly cheaper. Probably not when the additional screws are factored in. It is thicker which is a negative, but probably wouldn't be noticed. Installation effort is debateable as lifting a 23kg plasterboard sheet twice is arguably less effort than lifting one 41kg plasterboard sheet.

a conclusion I came to on a recent job, screws are cheap as chips, (I also had use of a plasterboard lifter which was brilliant).

“It is thicker which is a negative,” ??? only 2.5mm ?‍♂️.

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

“It is thicker which is a negative,” ??? only 2.5mm ?‍♂️.

10mm (2*12.5 vs 15). Still not massive

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

a conclusion I came to on a recent job, screws are cheap as chips, (I also had use of a plasterboard lifter which was brilliant)

So you went 2 layers of 12.5mm WallBoard rather than 1 layer of 15mm SoundBloc

2 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

So you went 2 layers of 12.5mm WallBoard rather than 1 layer of 15mm SoundBloc

Yup ! (Unfortunately not on my build, as I have pointed out before, my only regret with my new build is lack of sound insulation between floors ?).

Edited by joe90

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yup ! (Unfortunately not on my build, as I have pointed out before, my only regret with my new build is lack of sound insulation between floors ?).

What’s happening upstairs that you listen too ?

British Gypsum's Habito plasterboard allows direct fixing of loads up to 15kg: https://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gyproc-habito?tab0=3

It's only available as a 12.5mm TE plasterboard at various lengths. It is expensive at around £19.66+VAT / sheet.

Habito: 12.5mm with area density of 11.8kg/m2. TE only and 1200 wide x 2400, 2700, or 3000 long

• 2 weeks later...

Duraline does appear to be available despite the BG website indicating otherwise at some point.

Duraline: "Designed to provide enhanced sound, fire and impact resistance" 15mm only, 13.9kg/m2, TE only, 1200 x 2400/300

So almost as high area density as Soundbloc F (14.1kg/m2) but adds impact resistance. I've been quoted 1.2% cheaper than Soundbloc F. (~£14+VAT/sheet). As such, pit probably makes a better choice for walls though consider Habito instead for fixability.

What to use under rafters in an attic is interesting as you probably want some impact protection, but ideally not the weight.

For the garage, BG FireLine MR was hard to source so I went with GTEC Fire MR from abcdepot. The 15mm GTEC product has the advantage of being 2400 sheets rather than 3000mm.

Whilst sourcing that I got confirmation from BG and Siniat (GTEC) that their standard moisture resistant plasterboard can be considered in the same way as their standard WallBoard when it comes to fire considerations, in theory. Untested though, but those statements were suffice for my BCO.

• 3 months later...

How often do ceilings suffer impact? For a kids bedroom or sports centre etc. It would be worth the extra cost but how often do you see plasterboard holed in a domestic building? …. Waiting for the LL comments here

1 hour ago, markc said:

How often do ceilings suffer impact? For a kids bedroom or sports centre etc. It would be worth the extra cost but how often do you see plasterboard holed in a domestic building? …. Waiting for the LL comments here

Thinking more in terms of walls, but it is a valid point. It's frustrating as I can see a few walls where I'd happily pay the extra £8/sh, but has to be sourced as a full pallet (38no. 2.7m sheets).

Fischer have an interesting test report. Comparing various board performances with a HM5X52 fixing:

• 12.5mm Wallboard 0.6kN
  • 15mm SoundBloc 0.75kN
  • 15mm DuraLine 0.85kN
  • 15mm FireLine 1.1kN

In those last three board types and that fixing they conclude safe working loads over 0.2kN which is 20kg.

"According to the Construction Fixings Association guidelines; “Ultimate load tests should be carried out and admissible loads (Safe Working Loads) determined according to the manufacturers technical policy.” For fischer this requires a safety factor of 4 for steel fixings and a safety factor of 7 for Nylon fixings."

image.png.612c4af3015330a06050d499f58b46f5.pngimage.png.f6780ab3ea401432754f57ebca2804c0.png

• 2 years later...