Main bedroom suite layout design ideas

The current design is the top image with dimensions. We're OK with this but would like to provide more space in the master en-suite and dressing room so have been playing with ideas.

The 2nd image is our current favourite - as you can see we've taken space from the bedroom, and landing. The landing should still feel quite spacious as there is a glass balustrade and a large roof light. We like the idea of an open/walk-through shower with both sides open - image below. Planning on pocket doors into dressing area and then into bathroom.

The house shape results in some interesting angles which we are struggling a bit with to ensure we make best use of the space.

Would appreciate any suggestions for alternative layouts. We're about to finalise the concrete plank order so ideally we'll have the service penetrations re-cut. The "Duct" in the wardrobe in image 2 is for the MVHR + other services. We'll probably put the UFH manifold in this area also.

image.thumb.png.277d750019b21bbbc2396c262daa367e.png

image.thumb.png.f74bdddb5afb7b91889006cfc67cdce8.png

image.png.84aac52c1dee9be5d91b4aa1e681c45a.png

image.png.6933195f57d8aa787ee0c21f12b8d578.png

Very personal opinion but I completely dislike the "island" bed arrangement.  Is that a full or part height wall behind the bed head?

Personally I would have the bed pushed back against the main entrance wall and I think you will find the room feels so much more spacious with a decent space at the foot of the bed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Is that a full or part height wall behind the bed head?

Partial height, precise height is TBC but I think likely in the 1.2 to 1.8m range, don't want the space to feel too corridorry

In front of the bed is a pretty decent view which makes the bed position feel more logical facing it - the bed position could be reconsidered quite late in the process if it could work in either the current position or against the wall at the top of the image. The original house did have the bed there and I think was OK but will need to see when we get to that level as the house orientation has changed a bit.

Mainly plan A for me but it is a personal choice.

Don't underestimate the space the MVHR can take up.  You need to be able to access quite a large space on some to remove filters, heat exchanger etc.  Give that they can make a bit of noise it may be better in the landing.  UFH manifold can be quite warm, depending on setup and pipe runs.

I don't like pocket doors much.  They are fiddly to operate and fit and you are very limited to handles etc.  Will you normally leave them open?  I can imagine getting up to use the bathroom and running in to one of those.

Another one against the island bed.  May be better against the top wall.  There would be plenty of space left that you could have a sitting area for coffee & papers or pre dinner drinks.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Don't underestimate the space the MVHR can take up

Sorry - this is just the ducts the MVHR is elsewhere

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Will you normally leave them open?

Yes - normally open - we may not even put one on the entrance to dressing room area. The one to the bathroom will probably just be closed for special events (inc my wife's Sunday shower with hits from the musicals blaring out)

A lot depends on how you use the en suite and particularly if there will often be two people there at once.

I originally designed our en suite with a walk through shower, but decided it used too much space and also I didn't like the feeling I was on display if someone came into the room.

One thing I really try to avoid is the design of the first layout where the WC is directly facing the door, sometimes it cannot be helped but in this design you could look straight through from the bedroom to the WC.

I based the final layout on hotel bathrooms. They often separate the shower or WC so that it is easier for two people to be in the room at once. So you might want to consider that. I really like that our WC is separated from the rest of the room.

I doubt you would ever use the exit from the shower next to the WC, it is too much in the corner. I would likely move the shower into the corner to free up space.

If you freed up more floor space you could have a chair in the en suite. We love having somewhere to sit and get dressed, or to chat to the person in the bath,.

Alternatively you could move the WC to the alcove area and put the shower where the WC is, fully hiding the WC in the corner.

As to the dressing room, it looks like the distance between the two side on the second plan is only 800mm, I would probably want a minimum of 1m. Also I got 650mm deep cabinets which are a lot easier to hang things in. We do not have a door on our en suite or dressing room. It works fine, but the light can be annoying in the bedroom and it is also noisy when someone runs a bath. In the dressing room I just put the light on a very short timer, but you cannot do that in the bathroom as the light would go off while in the bath. I would probably if I did it again have a door to the en suite, but not the dressing room.

If you want to face the window, why not just put the bed back against the dressing room wall, you could even move the wall forward to have more room again in the dressing room and en suite.

Edited by AliG
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the ideas, really helpful. The island was something we had from the original design but the prompts have caused a re-think and based on this and the other points made we've produced a variation which feels a lot better already ?

image.png

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Is there an argument for a door from ensuite to landing so that people can access if necessary, and to take things through to the dressing room without the bedroom hike? 

This would be convenient - though would be a storage sacrifice. If the walls and slab penetrations stay as indicated we could experiment with that. If we moved the bed to the top wall we could re-jig things a bit to reduce the hike

I’d make the unit next to the duct in the dressing room a double sided laundry basket/cupboard onto the landing so you can access dirty laundry etc without having to do the wander round the bed etc. 

• Like 1

Personally, I would try to bring back the service cupboard in the hallway. There's always stuff to store upstairs that I don't like having in the bedroom. Such as the hover, cleaning bits.......a bucket? 

11 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Is there an argument for a door from ensuite to landing so that people can access if necessary

I thought about this. The alternative is putting another entrance to the dressing room next to the bedroom door, but that would mean losing dome of the cupboards in the dressing room.

TBH you have to walk around out bed to get to the dressing room. I did wonder it was a bit far, but in practice have never actually noticed it being an issue.

15 hours ago, AdamSee said:

Personally, I would try to bring back the service cupboard in the hallway. There's always stuff to store upstairs that I don't like having in the bedroom. Such as the hover, cleaning bits.......a bucket? 

The could be  good use for a corner of the hanging space which is not so useful from the dressing room side. Maybe can make a little cat flap type thing for an automatic hoover to live in:-)

16 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Is there an argument for a door from ensuite to landing so that people can access if necessary, and to take things through to the dressing room without the bedroom hike? 

It looks like that might possibly work - could be useful - though most likely Bedroom 2 occupants will be in-laws who are prone to walking into the guest bedroom in their own house ? 

Re the landing cupboard.

Do you really want a dressing room with the odd angle at the end?  Why not square off the end of the dressing room, and re create the cupboard from the landing that would get wider the further in you get?