Standing Seam Rubber Roof

Hi,

I am meant to be having a standing seam steel roof on my new build, the installer has told me today that there is a massive shortage at the moment and has been told by the supplier there is none available until the early part of next year. He has recommended I go for a rubber roof with welded seams and it will look just as good and probably be better. Has anyone had this fitted on their house and what are your thoughts? 

Have you seen any? Are you happy with how they look?

I don't personally feel a single ply membrane roof could be confused for a metal root, while I agree that sticking a "seam" detail on them is intended to make them look similar.

Do you wish to fix anything to your roof? ie. PV, satellite. The seams on single ply aren't structural, so you need to find another way of fixing. I'm assuming fixing through the membrane is a water leak risk.

18 hours ago, Ryan Bazeley said:

Definitely not going with rubber!!

Found a new installer today who use GreenCoat PLX it seems like good stuff, they said there is no shortage of material?!

Good decision. GreenCoat PLX is a great product and a million times better than rubber. Can't believe your roofer recommended rubber as an equivalent! In terms of alternatives, I've only seen one example of a roof using GRP where they'd used profiles to recreate the look of the seams. From a distance it looked vaguely similar and okay but from near the difference was pretty obvious.

• 2 weeks later...