Ecology requirements ?

We've got a decision in principle from Ecology and they are asking for details of our solicitors. I've asked them what they need the solicitors to do (we've bought the land already and are in Scotland).  But all they said is 'independent legal advice'. Can anyone advise please as to what the solicitors would need to do ?

I've given Ecology my costings, which has a fair few estimates. They came back and asked for a detailed schedule of works. I asked them how much detail they need / format etc. But they didn't give me much to go on.  Any input into this would be really helpful.  

Solicitors are needed to register the charge on the title deeds.

It sounds like you may not have given a detailed enough costed plan for them to have confidence you'll build for the budget. Just put together a spreadsheet with items and costs for each stage - groundworks, kit, externals, first fix, second fix etc. - set out. Make sure it comes in within your borrowing and that you've a wee bit of contingency.

We put together an itemised list and got the architect to sign it off. That and the provisional SAP assessment was all they needed. Everything else was standard, three months bank statements, pay slips etc etc.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 20:02, Firsttimer said:

I've given Ecology my costings, which has a fair few estimates. They came back and asked for a detailed schedule of works. I asked them how much detail they need / format etc. But they didn't give me much to go on.  Any input into this would be really helpful.  

All we needed to give them was a quote from a main contractor with a "turn key" figure on it.

I had estimators online (other online estimating services exist) do a cost estimate from the building regs drawings, tweaked it a bit and submitted that. In practice it was just passed on to the valuing surveyor who came up with their own build cost estimate based on RICS tables and sq. footage. This was £225k more than my (slightly ambitious) cost estimate. Ecology didn't seem bothered by this higher build cost estimate as there was plenty of headroom on the LTV and affordability to increase the loan if necessary.  I have found Ecology very flexible and pragmatic.  

• 2 weeks later...