Temporary Builders Supply

Looking for some advice as the most efficient and cost effective way to provide temporary site electricity. (Scotland)

I've already put up a timber board on 2 fence posts, roughly 1m wide, and mounted a surface meter box to the left side, leaving around the same space to the right for sockets etc.

Duct has been run in and I have a hockey stick to the meter box.

I'm now awaiting SSE to run in and connect the cable, and then meter install, but want to prepare the consumer side in advance.

I'm looking to provide at least 2x 16A ccts with a 230v 16A commando/industrial socket on each. I think this should be enough for the builders requirements.

I've seen some people using a second meter box as an enclosure for it all, but I just imagine the contractors leaving the door flapping about.  Also, I've saw a photo of meter tails coming out of the meter box and directly into a IP rated consumer unit.

Can meter tails be run outside the meter box, without conduit? Straight into a garage CU with a 32mm stuffing gland presumably to maintain IP? (short distance, less than 1m outside the meter box)

I've also saw these RCD caravan hookup units, which look nice and compact with preinstalled 16A sockets -  but can one of these act in place of a dedicated consumer unit? Can meter tails be installed directly into one of these? If so, maybe this would be the simplest option? Meter tails out the bottom of the meter box (hopefully they provide an isolator?) and into the bottom of the hookup?

Any help appreciated

meter tails are (should be) double insulated so dont need trunking/conduit.

If using 25mm tails you will struggle to get them into a 32mm gland. The stuffing on tails etc into a CU isnt for IP rating is for fire rating/retarding.

The caravan type units generally dont have a big enough main switch for an incoming supply so a CU is the best bet.

Thanks Mark, another question would be where to mount a small CU -  inside the surface meter box, leaving as much space as possible for the meter and cut out -  or mount it externally adjacent, and take the meter tails out to it?

I would build a kiosk, meter box at one side just for the meter. At the side/above mount your CU and leave tails plenty long enough (meter installers love an easy install with nice long tails).

Then you or your site guys can open the kiosk (this can have lockable door) and get to the supply without going into the meter enclosure

• Like 2