flush casement uPVC windows

Lee66

I have been agonising over timber vs uPVC flush casement windows for a while now. Just took an advance delivery of one for my garage which I am building ahead of my house. It is a wood grain effect white window and I love it - can't tell the difference from a wooden window and 1/2 the price!

I am not far from you in Farnham if you want to come and have a look!

Sorry the photo is a bit distant

IMG_0582.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy brown said:

I have been agonising over timber vs uPVC flush casement windows for a while now. Just took an advance delivery of one for my garage which I am building ahead of my house. It is a wood grain effect white window and I love it - can't tell the difference from a wooden window and 1/2 the price!

I am not far from you in Farnham if you want to come and have a look!

Sorry the photo is a bit distant

IMG_0582.jpeg

Thanks very much for the offer, I may take you up on it sometime. I am in the same position you are in, trying to justify the cost of wooden and maintenance against uPVC.

It seems for me uPVC will be the way forward just having proper feed back as opposed to manufactures spill helps enormously. 

2 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Fitted r9 white woodgrain upvc windows, they are pricey, but look great and look like wood until you are about a foot away

Exactly what I'll probably going to use. I agree, very impressive window even up close

11 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

Guys does anyone have any recommendations for companies that offer flush casement with wood grain effect?

Seems most flush casements are smooth finish rather than wood grain 

I have Residence R7 and Vijay their R9. If you go onto Residence's website you will be surprised how many people supply them.

I used Tradelink direct who will supply self builders.

5 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I can always spot the welded mitres on the casements. Vertical joints would look a lot more authentic

You can get upvc with vertical joints rather than the mitre. I didn’t think it was worth the additional costs tho, it’s going to be a very small number of people actually notice the joints

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vee6 dan said:

You can get upvc with vertical joints rather than the mitre. I didn’t think it was worth the additional costs tho, it’s going to be a very small number of people actually notice the joints

absolutely agree

4 hours ago, Vijay said:

Hadn't heard of R7, what's the difference from R9?

You can get butt hinges, fancier handles and weather bars with the R9 (I looked It up when I saw you had used R9 as I hadn't heard of R9 and wanted to know what I had missed out on as assumed R9 were better ???)

Also look at Dekko Deceunick and Rehau which are similar-ish to the R9 but a bit cheaper. I know the local fitters for R9 now recommend the Dekko ones instead. Can't comment on the frames u values though.

We still can't decide which to go with, I think it will just come down to which fitters have the best reputation as there doesn't seem that much between them.

5 hours ago, Vee6 dan said:

To me the whole idea of choosing some plastic product to imitate wood makes me puke. I'd rather have a smooth plastic flush casement with welded mitres than a woodgrain one with vertical welds. A bit like that flo plast imitation cast iron gear. 

Each to their own though if we all liked the same It would be boring

Edited by Oz07

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

To me the whole idea of choosing some plastic product to imitate wood makes me puke. I'd rather have a smooth plastic flush casement with welded mitres than a woodgrain one with vertical welds. A bit like that flo plast imitation cast iron gear. 

In my current house I have wooden sash windows and there’s no sign of any wood grain. Might as well be plastic ? probably open easier as well. 

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Yeah but when you have a planning condition, the choices are limited for low maintenance ;)

Thanks guys,

Builder has said Rehau, looks like they do a UPVC with grain finish and flush casement.

Will ring them in the morning to see how much more expensive flush casement is over storm casement 

Edited by Dan1983