BT cable

rh2205

Hello,

Bt came out and jointed their cable to our cat 6 runs in the middle of the house. Only issue is they just left the jointed cable completely exposed & so long we cannot roll it up to fit it in the box with a cover plate on. Any other type of cover plate I can get to hide this jointed cable in? It was just a typical single switch type box would need something deeper than a typical cover plate. Didn’t even think to check he’d finished off that area where the cable comes in properly before he left because the internet was working & the bt box in the middle of the house looked completely fine!

F4A46E64-5E19-4521-BE1C-31AEF89F557B.jpeg

Edited by rh2205

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How deep is the back box..? 

I would cut it back - both sides - and then use a very quick/cheap punch down connector in the box such as this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT5e-6-IDC-4-Pair-8-Way-Junction-Box-8P8C-Inline-Cable-Coupler-Terminal-Socket-/224041015912?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Jelly crimps are even cheaper £2 for 20.

Still surprised that they did not terminate to a BT Master socket. I get that it works now but would be concerned if an issue occurred in the future and the next OR engineer to visit threw their hands up !

21 minutes ago, rh2205 said:

@ProDave They fitted a bt master socket at the other end, obviously I did wonder whether another bt master socket on the jointed section would be the easiest way to conceal ?

I would put a master where your joint is, and a slave at the other end.

Like others, if there is ever a fault, and OR come to the property, you don't want them blaming your CAT6 cable as the "problem" so best to have a clean demarcation in the form of an NTE5 where their cable ends.

Also, as a matter of personal opinion, I would buy the old NTE5A, much more robust and versatile.  I hate the current NTE5C so much harder to terminate and that silly clip on front plate is hard to unclip if the socket is close to a corner and easy to break trying.

You can also get a filtered plug in for the NTE5A to separate landline and broadband, so extension telephone wiring should not affect your broadband performance.

Thanks everyone, I will just get an old school master socket I prefer the look, not too worried about telephone line, we’re from the generation that’s only ever had a mobile phone, doubt we’ll use the cat 6 sockets in the rooms either it was only a back up in case WiFi sucked or we found a reason to play some online games by which point everything will be coming in from the sky wirelessly anyway I suspect ?