Cladding Columns

Hello all, 

I'm trying  to find a solution to clad the steel columns and the edge of the balcony below. The roofers previously said that the steel cladding was not suitable (not 100% sure why not)
We were going to use aluminum soffit board from https://www.marleyalutec.co.uk/products/evoke-fascia-soffit/ which is rigid with a foam core but they don't seem to be able to supply us, it's always on back order. I've found this https://www.columncasing.co.uk/other-products/ but it's pricey. 

Any other thoughts form anyone?

Thanks.

20210406_183824.thumb.jpg.0ca814e4cb84f1db8fbc57902b660798.jpg

11 minutes ago, IanR said:

How about sand and fill (automotive body filler), and spray paint to match external window finish

It's a thought but I think we need them built out a little. The look a little spindly, especially where they meet the roof.

I guess your roofers wouldn't have had the tools on site to fabricate the cladding for the columns from the wall cladding. It would also need some careful thought to avoid sharp edges that could cut hands.

While the pre-made parts you link to are expensive, I would have thought fabricating bespoke cladding panels that neatly fit together, leave no sharp edges exposed and hide all fixings, would be even more expensive.

That leaves you with a timber cladding, but for me that introduces another material and texture that doesn't relate to anything else on the facade.

I'm back to painting what you have to match your windows, but introduce some detail at the top if you don't like the junction to the eaves. I don't personally feel they look too small in section, but do understand your concern. Perhaps with the balustrade attached they won't look so "out on their own". 

• Thanks 1

You could build the columns out with timber and clad them in the same horizontal stuff as the house, using the metal corner trims.  I have done this on some details and with the trims it looks OK.

image.png.155dda0c94b5323f775d020945517114.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

You could build the columns out with timber and clad them in the same horizontal stuff as the house, using the metal corner trims.  I have done this on some details and with the trims it looks OK.

That could work, thanks.

49 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I would go with the @IanR suggestion.

Your house is looking great!

Thanks, we are getting there, on the last stretch think.