Bostik vs Dunlop - Urgent Question !!!!

Ed21

Pre-pandemic I was having a lot of fun :( with some duff Mapei Ultimate Waterproof tile adhesive that might as well have been flour paste for all the good it did. 
After removing the mess, redid with Bostik A200 Power Showerproof which did a vastly superior job :) 

I'm now about to start another much larger job tomorrow and so looked up to find that 10kg is now £23.
With a 3mm bed I'm going to need at least 5 maybe 6 of those so over a ton on adhesive.

Online I've checked out that Selco do 15kg of Dunlop RX3000 Waterproof for just £17.

So not wanting to get burned twice how does Bostic A200 compare with Dunlop RX3000? 

Could really do with a quickish awnser if anybody knows, as Selco opens at 6.30 am :) 

Edited by Ed21

Mapei is my go-to adhesive, never had a problem (apart from some very dusty slate when i "forgot" to wet them ..... sapped the moisture out of the adhesive and didnt stick, but that was my fault

If we’re talking ready mix stuff here (?) then ditch that tripe and get some powder adhesive and mix your own. 
I do like all the BS names given to the above-mentioned tile adhesive “power shower proof” and such other nonsense, but the facts are simple…….your tile adhesive isn’t ever supposed to see the shower water as the tiles / grout / sealants take on that responsibility!! Just get some Mapei / Bal / Ultra etc, 20kg bag for a couple of tenners, choose the slow setting versions ( commonly referred to as ‘standard’ or ‘extended’ set so you get an hour to play with it ), and that will serve you very well indeed. That will also be a cementitious adhesive which you can immerse in water with zero degradation. 
All of the DIY ready mixed stuff is garbage, and will reconstitute with any downstream exposure to moisture, so avoid that for any areas which are frequently / constantly exposed to splashing / running water.

• Like 1

The Mapei was used the day it was bought, no chance for frost from my end. 
It had almost a granular consistency and the tiles were clean with no dust etc.
Once fixed they started to peel off the wall after about a month, so had to be replaced.
This caused a considerable amount of hassle, hence the reluctance to use ANY Mapei products again. 
Sure it might have been a one-off, but that one-off caused mega £££ to put right :(  

Then the A200 stepped in and under exactly the same circumstances just did the job.so well that on a recent remodel where the door was moved, some tiles had to be taken off with a chisel on a SDS drill they were so solid :) 

Reason for ready-mix is access is very limited due to covid prevention protocols, so needs to be in, do a section of wall and then out quick until the next (allowed) time. 
No qualms about mixing, in fact I'd use this normally https://www.selcobw.com/products/sealants-adhesives/tile-adhesives-grouts/dunlop-cf-24-flexible-tile-adhesive-white-20kg

Circumstances are a bit messy hence ready-mixed and why the question (still unawnsered) is how RX3000 compares to A200  

Edited by Ed21

11 hours ago, Ed21 said:

Pre-pandemic I was having a lot of fun :( with some duff Mapei Ultimate Waterproof tile adhesive that might as well have been flour paste for all the good it did. 
After removing the mess, redid with Bostik A200 Power Showerproof which did a vastly superior job :) 

I'm now about to start another much larger job tomorrow and so looked up to find that 10kg is now £23.
With a 3mm bed I'm going to need at least 5 maybe 6 of those so over a ton on adhesive.

Online I've checked out that Selco do 15kg of Dunlop RX3000 Waterproof for just £17.

So not wanting to get burned twice how does Bostic A200 compare with Dunlop RX3000? 

Could really do with a quickish awnser if anybody knows, as Selco opens at 6.30 am :) 

What are you sticking down 

3 mil sounds very thin 

29 minutes ago, Ed21 said:

question (still unawnsered)

Apologies. 
They both boast the same ‘qualities’ but both are acrylic, so both will reconstitute with the presence of water / moisture / extreme humidity etc.
Neither better than the other afaic but I wouldn’t use these in any areas other than ‘dry’ sections of wall.  

I’ve been tiling for over 25 years btw, and only ever had one job go tits up, and that was customer supplied ready made ( acrylic ) adhesive which went into the skip ,via the 3rd floor window. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ed21 said:

They are only 200 x 250 ceramic and no more than 7-8mm if that.  

Ah right sounded thin

Always at least the thickness of the tile