Help on kitchen extraction

Hope you can help.  We've just had a new extension built, part of which is the new kitchen.  In the kitchen area we have an opening skylight and glass sliding doors (no trickle vents).  We plan on having a cooker hood which will extract externally.  My question is, will we require further background or mechanical ventilation?  

Depends how often the cooker hood is in operation I suppose and also how sealed off this new part of the house is from the others.

Given those type of vents are rarely airtight (and the rest of your house is probably equally leaky), you'll likely get some cross ventilation from other part of the house  - more so if the skylight is open.

Can't remember the building regs requirement for trickle ventilation (10mm² per m²?) but we were in similar position with no trickle vents on our main windows. BC guy was happy with the trickle vent  (as in window always left in the partial open position) in the skylight.

You will need to address general ventilation as well as your cooker hood, I think.

Suggest checking the relevent Building Regs document, or ask your designer. Or ring up the Building Regs team at the Council for a pointer to where to look.