Hello world. Bought a granite house

seeker

Morning all,

Nice to meet you :) Found this forum by googling and thought it might be useful.

I bought a detached granite house in Scotland very recently. There will be no big done-in-one renovation project (not unless I win the lottery) but as the rooms come up for redecoration I hope to do them *properly* -  I don't intend on moving for a long time. I'm specifically thinking about insulation, as it's cold up here!

My previous home was an extremely normal new-build type place, brick-built with a cavity, etc. The big change/surprise so far is how much heat loss there is through the floor - I haven't measured it, but I have cold feet a lot. I know a property like this will be very different from what I'm used to, but I'm willing to learn new things to save on labour costs :D

3 minutes ago, seeker said:

Morning all,

Nice to meet you :) Found this forum by googling and thought it might be useful.

I bought a detached granite house in Scotland very recently. There will be no big done-in-one renovation project (not unless I win the lottery) but as the rooms come up for redecoration I hope to do them *properly* -  I don't intend on moving for a long time. I'm specifically thinking about insulation, as it's cold up here!

My previous home was an extremely normal new-build type place, brick-built with a cavity, etc. The big change/surprise so far is how much heat loss there is through the floor - I haven't measured it, but I have cold feet a lot. I know a property like this will be very different from what I'm used to, but I'm willing to learn new things to save on labour costs :D

Hi seeker.

First advice I would give is to start with the end in mind. It is always better to insulate big rather than heat big. Yes up front cost more but end product better - if your intending to stay! Timber floors? 

Lots of choices regarding heating and some compliment each other and some clash!

When I lived in an old solid stone walled building, it was plaster boarded on the inside, however the builders never sealed the walls so the wind blew through!

Welcome.

How big are your rooms, and are there any fancy bits that stop you covering over all the walls?

You will need to be thinking in terms  of insulating everything well either inside or outside, then ventilating the interior.

F

Good morning and welcome, yes insulation and draught proofing is key, you only buy insulation once, depends on the room you have for it.  you buy heating continually . Looking forward to more details of the building and what you want to achieve ?

Welcome.

First thing is to find water leaks, then air leaks.

Then insulate, then think about heating systems.

If you can insulate internally, this is often messy, but you can do it in winter.

The more thickness of insulation you can fit the better.

know the problems well

do you have enough ceiling height to attend to floor by adding another insulated one ---what is current floor?

the ideal way if it is would be to dig out floor and pour a new one with lots of insulation under it    and around it where it touchs granite 

most old granite houses have no foundations as such -so also have no damp course -so walls suck up moisture from the ground

is it old with lathe and plaster on very thick walls and the gap behind the lathes allows it to breath up the walls to the roof

If this is the way your going to go then think about UFH at same time maybe?

are the rooms large enough to make timber frame studding inside what is  there now ?--eg  140mm studding filled with insulation  with a gap behind it so any damp coming through the wall and vent out at eaves- or into roof void --if std scotish type roof it will be sarking boards and slates --so an early inspection of the inside to check for any rot is advised

-this will need to be kept as a cold area and last insulation will be lots of it on top of ceiling so you do not heat the roof space and cause condensation 

I am suspecting it is lime mortar walls which need to breathe 

basically the right way is to make and insulated box inside present shell so walls and roof can breath to the outside 

there is no insulation value in granite walls worth talking about --so this is why you would build a TF house inside what you have  if funds and room size allow

pictures would be nice 

I understand if these things are not possible  but it is what you should be aiming for 

Edited by scottishjohn