No Mow May: Why you shouldn’t mow the lawn in May

Cut ours today with the self propelled one rather than the ride on. Avoided the cowslips. A lot of daisies and dandelions didn't make it. Did feel for the bees. Still loads of uncut areas full of wildflowers mind.

Cut mine last week for the first time but my lawn is only a small percentage of my total garden as I have huge areas of wild garden devoted to wildlife conservation. As @Temp says if I did not cut it in May I would not be able to cut it at all with the self propelled mower that I have. 

I'm after reclaiming some wilded areas. There's some self seeded cherry in there needs to come out. Hesitant about diving in on the sit on mower as conscious of the wildlife in there. Plan is to hand sythe it and rake to encourage it to move out. 100% there be grass snakes, slow worms and various rodents in there. I'm going to refurb these I just found clearing the tumbledown stable and go all Poldark on it! ? One's a left handed jobbie. 

IMG-20210503-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.28888eaf8f58d3afb1a456422720336d.jpeg

• Like 1

As above: 'No Mow May' will be shortly followed by 'My Lawn Looks $h!t June'.  I'm all for creating wildlife habitat and I'm trying to do my bit, but it isn't going to be the lawn I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Jo90. You won't be cutting much with those.

Eh?, that was @Onoff !!!, mine are razor sharp and not rusty ?. I will be having mowed, stripey lawn, and areas of uncut grasses with wild flowers sown as well, going all Monty Don. (It’s on my “to do list”).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

IMG-20210503-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.28888eaf8f58d3afb1a456422720336d.jpeg

I acquired something very similar from the old garage that was on my property when we moved in. Cleaned it up, sharpened it, and had a great time playing about with it until I decided to grab a tough clump of grass with the other hand to help things along. Very nasty gash on the back of my finger was the result, but it could have been a lot worse... 

The other half planted hundreds of bulbs in the lawned areas to the front of the house and we let the grass grow long there, currently full of bluebells and daffodils, some others poking up. When that season is done I mow it.

Rear lawn has needed a lot of attention this last few weeks - been aerated, scarified & treated. Rain over the next few weeks should help it come back to life.

The old self propelled petrol mower, which I bought on eBay 10 years ago and had serviced once, has now had it so upgrading to a mulching Stihl that uses the sale battery as the hedge tools I bought end of last year. 

3 hours ago, Temp said:

These work quite well. I have hired one in the past but they are hard to find now..

Feider FT200 Scythe-Bar Mower

RHS Rosemoor near me has gone all “wild flower meadow” and uses one of these to trim the grass/flowers at the end of the season leaving the seeds to germinate fir next year. I re built one of these 30 years ago to cut down thistles etc in a horses field as the horses ate around the thistles.