Stud wall to ceiling fixing

James94

Hi all, going to do the stud work myself, I will be having a 50mm service cavity in the ceiling. Where these studs run parallel to the trusses is it possible to fix the stud header to the underside of the 2x2 instead of fixing it to noggins?

There are 4 walls I was thinking of doing this for and none are structural, would building control have any issues with this?

See photo.

Regards James 

CF268C42-40F8-48F2-A3F2-91ED7A7D06FD.jpeg

Just got a few question prior to ordering and starting.

If we are to fix the stud headers under the service cavity as above picture do we need to fill the void above the header with sound insulation? Even if we have lighting wiring running through it?

Question 2. we are going to have some niches in bathrooms, where these are positioned do we have to double the thickness of the stud? or can the niche go back to back with the plaster board on the other side?

And finally been looking at the gerberit wall hung toilets, we will be fitting them on a block wall so we intend to stud this out to enable this to be concealed. What will be the best thickness studs to achieve easy fitting of waste and cistern.

Regards. James

I've done very similar to you except 140mm void, 2 lots of cross battened 70mm timber. Headers fixed exactly as you describe. I think I did chuck some acoustic wool offcuts above the studs in places but wasn't overly worried. I had 15mm pb on ceilings and I don't really have any occupied rooms next to each other. Had a niche as you describe to except for a bit of ply before the plasterboard

I would mark the position of the studs, gets the electrician in and leave coils of wires at switch drops etc, or indeed feed switches from below if possible so it’s was only light points to worry about , plasterboard then attach partitions.

so just to clarify would the best way be to fix 4x2 headers and 2x2 service cavity then plasterboard over the whole lot, would I need to cut out the plasterboard to fix studs to the header?

Regards James

Edited by James94

• 4 weeks later...

@tonyshouse 

Sorry for dragging this post up again but I have some questions id like to have answered.

Q1 regarding the advice you gave on fixing the ceiling plasterboard prior to stud walls, how easy will it be to fix top plates to timbers which will be hidden by plasterboard if we take this route.

Q2 Taking this option, is it ok to have plasterboard sandwiched between top plate of the stud wall and the service cavity batten? 

Q3 can this route cause issues with electrician for cables and lighting switches as would be no walls for him to put wires in?

Regards  James