First time buy or go to build?

TinkerBill

Hey all!

I've been lucky enough that my parents have downsized and offered me sufficient money to make me start thinking of housing.

After the gf showed me Grand Designs: The Street and The House That £100k Built I looked into building and an interested in seeing if it's possible.

I may be out of my depth but swimming on the surface is much the same regardless of depth! ?

10 hours ago, TinkerBill said:

After the gf showed me Grand Designs: The Street and The House That £100k Built I 

Welcome ...

Well, @TinkerBill, after watching another bout of Kevin Mc Wotisface pontification and cod philosophy,  show @TinkerBell a cement mixer  a shovel, a pile of sand, and another of cement, and a hosepipe. 

Get a deck chair, sit in it , and observe the reaction carefully.  ?

You are both most welcome. 

Ian

Edited by ToughButterCup

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Well, @TinkerBill, after watching another bout of Kevin Mc Wotisface pontification and cod philosophy,  show @TinkerBell a cement mixer  a shovel, a pile of sand, and another of cement, and a hosepipe. 

Get a deck chair, sit in it , and observe the reaction carefully.  ?

Considering I still need to learn about what I should be looking for in a plot you're going to need a lot of popcorn for this show ?

You’ll hear this endlessly- plots are hard to come by.

Plots need planning permission or the probability of being able to get planning permission.  
They need access to a road.

They need access to services (water and electricity as a minimum) as these are expensive to bring in.

You probably need to be able to buy the plot for cash - most lenders won’t lend on land.  That is why most of us who self build are older - the younger generation are generally not “cash rich” enough to self build unless the land is gifted to them.

The final requirements are tenacity, patience and sheer bloody mindedness.

2 minutes ago, Sue B said:

Hello and welcome, the above is very true and if you have no previous experience of building a damn good (reliable) builder. Don’t let that 

put you off tho, follow your dream but be realistic. Tons of good info and friendly advise here so bring it on.

1 hour ago, Sue B said:

You probably need to be able to buy the plot for cash - most lenders won’t lend on land.  That is why most of us who self build are older - the younger generation are generally not “cash rich” enough to self build unless the land is gifted to them.

I understand that, hence my (lucky) reliance on a parental loan.

As for the final requirements, I believe I have enough of each, but time will tell!

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Just buy a place in an area you can afford.

It is always easier to get a different job closer to your new home.

Cost of areas around work isn't a huge issue, I'm also lucky enough to be renting off a work colleague relatively cheap. It's more looking at options than pushing on with necessity (agian, a fortunate and uncommon position for someone just turned 26)

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Hello and welcome, the above is very true and if you have no previous experience of building a damn good (reliable) builder. Don’t let that 

put you off tho, follow your dream but be realistic. Tons of good info and friendly advise here so bring it on.

No personal experience, but family who have. At this stage, it's all learning though, no point claiming I'm putting the cart before the horse when I still need to decide what lumber to make said cart from!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

So it will be a timber framed place then.

Good choice.

Tbh, I'm not sure. It seems most practical though.

The only hesitation to timber framed is if a basement is viable/practical etc etc.

As I say, VERY early days

34 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

avoid timber frame, costly, lower build quality than block and brick  and bad for the environment.

Do you mean timber frame with brick skin? If timber throughout cannot see how it could be worse for the environment than block and brick.

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

avoid timber frame, costly, lower build quality than block and brick  and bad for the environment.

If you've some examples of any builds being cost effective would love that information ?