Building close to the boundary..

Which one is trespassing !!! The guttering of the one on the left should be on there own side of the boundary, so the one on the right is trespassing (or visa versa).

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Which one is trespassing !!!

The other photo shows what is presumably the boundary fence so the new extension is well over the line! 

2DCB7C69-BC64-476C-9486-1983C5BF67B8.jpeg

The footings must also be trespassing!!! Just hope the council sort it properly . I would like to see the original plans of where walls/footings/guttering are in relation to the boundary.

Edited by joe90

I think he said it was initially hidden by scaffolding. Then later when he did point out the problem the neighbours said they would fix it. Then they didn't.  

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and us buildhubbers would have noticed earlier I think. I still say the walls were built on the edge of the foundation, not the middle and I would have thought a BC should have noticed that.

just re visited the video and he complained he could not maintain his wall, render it, but that is impossible within 8” of the boundary, even if the new extension was 8” away that makes the Gap 16”.

Edited by joe90

Strange case.

Neighbour should have insisted on an immediate STOP notice, or gone for an emergency injunction.

I suspect he has now lost, as the Planners will go for minimum disturbance for the planners.

As it stands the finish seems to be block ie perhaps no outer leaf, which is probably not acceptable. Might get them with that. 

Fence seems to be on different lines front and back.

F

dk-pic-angry-homeowner-1.jpg

45 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and us buildhubbers would have noticed earlier I think. I still say the walls were built on the edge of the foundation, not the middle and I would have thought a BC should have noticed that.

just re visited the video and he complained he could not maintain his wall, render it, but that is impossible within 8” of the boundary, even if the new extension was 8” away that makes the Gap 16”.

He would  have a right to access for maintenance under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act. Would not help with garage, though.

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I suspect he has now lost, as the Planners will go for minimum disturbance for the planners.

Planning is one thing, theft is another. Even if they get retrospective planning for this error, it doesn't address the fact that it's built on someone else's land.

2 minutes ago, jack said:

Planning is one thing, theft is another. Even if they get retrospective planning for this error, it doesn't address the fact that it's built on someone else's land.

Very true. Planning will say "Boundary disputes are not a relevant planning matter."

But there may be other avenues.

Which fence is the boundary line, do you think ? ?

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Which fence is the boundary line, do you think ? ?

You're right, the one in the back garden seems to be on a different line to that in the front. I missed that in your previous point.

8 minutes ago, jack said:

You're right, the one in the back garden seems to be on a different line to that in the front. I missed that in your previous point.

The cheapest resolution will be for the neighbour to buy 2ft of land, and pay to do whatever to the garage.

Cost: 75k?

Or planning may do something.

Or the neighbour will be a doormat and the bodge may stand.

2 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

the back of his house looks like an extension to me

That's why the fence is different, isn't it !

The neighbour's predecessor left so little space that he couldn't get the fence behind it, so just continued in line with  the extension inside the boundary, perhaps.

Very ouch.

The sad face neighbour’s extension is so close to the boundary too so even if the extension was stepped back a little it would make the walls very very close.