Materials price rises

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

Was in Wickes at the weekend and noticed that CLS was £5.50 a length. I begrudgingly paid £2.74 tail end of last year. 

Loft boards - £17 a pack!

Get yourself set up with a trade account and a membership with further 10% off.

It helps.

On 02/08/2021 at 12:29, Ferdinand said:

Get yourself set up with a trade account and a membership with further 10% off.

It helps.

I have a TP self build account which allows access to Benchmarx, but Wickes within the same group requires 2 forms of ID to sign up annoyingly. Short of fabricating a business card and letterhead, I'm not eligible. 

12 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

I have a TP self build account which allows access to Benchmarx, but Wickes within the same group requires 2 forms of ID to sign up annoyingly. Short of fabricating a business card and letterhead, I'm not eligible. 

I think that might be common practice, and Wickes know all about it.

It's not as if it is making them make a loss.

Sell a wheelbarrow on ebay? Equals "Dangti Barrowboyz".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I think that might be common practice, and Wickes know all about it.

It's not as if it is making them make a loss.

Sell a wheelbarrow on ebay? Equals "Dangti Barrowboyz".

You're right. They can either approve or decline. Worth a shot.

Those online business card and letterhead visualisers where you pop your info in and it shows you what they would look like are bloody useful aren't they ?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Currently thinking about January rises. 

Over the next 3-6 months I'll need to make some bigger purchases such as ASHP c.£5K, MVHR c.£5k, cylinder £1k - I was considering buying these just now to avoid any further increases throughout the year.  But It'll be likely 6 months before I need them. What's the thoughts on getting stuff early or not worth doing? Cash would likely be from the self build mortgage so interest payable to balance it up.  

1 minute ago, SuperJohnG said:

What's the thoughts on getting stuff early or not worth doing?

I bought a cheap ASHP from ebay, thankfully from a dealer, and thankfully that dealer was owned by a well know builders merchant.  It was advertised as new and with a 12 month guarantee.

It was 11 months before I installed it and tried to commission it.  It did not work.  It took a fight (CEO of parent company) but they honoured the guarantee and replaced it.

Good job it was not 13 months before I tried it.........

31 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Currently thinking about January rises. 

Over the next 3-6 months I'll need to make some bigger purchases such as ASHP c.£5K, MVHR c.£5k, cylinder £1k - I was considering buying these just now to avoid any further increases throughout the year.  But It'll be likely 6 months before I need them. What's the thoughts on getting stuff early or not worth doing? Cash would likely be from the self build mortgage so interest payable to balance it up.  

I did this with quite a lot of stuff before Brexit. In one sense I'm happy I did it because it involved a lot of timber and I have saved a massive amount of money on it. The problem is that I've had a load of materials cluttering up my space which has made the process of getting on with building much more difficult and risks inadvertent damage - this week I've got to move 56 sheets of Birch plywood to be able to start making the kitchen. I've also bought a few other items which have being laying around and found that warranty is now compromised because I didn't register within a certain period, or that I didn't fit the item and report a problem with its function within 30 days etc. It makes it a pain. Suppliers are being a little flexible on this due to the current circumstances, but it takes some effort and pressure..

Personally, if it's big ticket items like the ones you're looking at, I would hold off until you know you need them, even if it costs you a few quid. At present there are supply problems so you might find that supply has eased by the time you need them. On the other hand, it might also be worth seeing what current lead times are for the products you want and if they're long enough, you can place an order for delayed delivery? It's worth checking with the manufecturer/supplier what their usual price review periods are as some will already have reviewed prices for Jan, and may not review until Mid year, or even Sept/Oct but with timber it's gone from quarterly to sometimes several changes per month.

It's all a frustrating balancing act!