Mysterious external lead pipe

Adsibob

I’ve found an old lead pipe on my property just to the side of my house that Is possibly the source of a water leak causing damp to my wall. We need to remove it as part of a process of elimination to work out what is causing the ground and the wall to be so wet. No idea what the pipe is. Was going to tell builder to just remove it, but he’s nervous in case it is a gas pipe or removing it cuts off somebody’s water. How does one work out what is in an old external lead pipe without risking a gas leak or electrocution??

CC87CCBF-7942-4277-A643-55A7F8DB16C7.jpeg

Years ago, I was chopping out a network of old lead pipes from under a suspended floor. Water was already bypassed with new supply, gas wall lights no longer supplied with town gas! However one of them turned out to be our lead sheathed incoming electric main which I cut straight through with a hammer and bolster ? Beware!

31 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Years ago, I was chopping out a network of old lead pipes from under a suspended floor. Water was already bypassed with new supply, gas wall lights no longer supplied with town gas! However one of them turned out to be our lead sheathed incoming electric main which I cut straight through with a hammer and bolster ? Beware!

`Beware as above. I to have found old electric mains sheathed in lead in the past.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Looks like a water main to me. 

If worried it it could be electric why not scrape it gently until you break through to the inside. 

And the water will come squirting out when you break through.

Call the DNO if in doubt, I called them to identify an unexpected cable, they were not in the least bit bothered when they found it was a redundant telecoms cable.