oil boiler, combi or system?

Lee66

I have decided to stick with oil for now on a recently purchased property. the boiler will need changing but as this will be the first time I've had oil, always been on the gas with a combi.  which would would be a better boiler option?

The property, a bungalow, will be approx 125sq m, 55 of which will be new build with wet underfloor heating. the remaining will be radiators, 1 bathroom and a cloakroom. 2 occupants.

any advise greatly received

Combi all the way. With just two people and one bathroom, there's no sense in keeping a big tank of water hot all the time. Plus you'll free up the space of not needing a hot water tank or cold water tank in attic.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Combi all the way. With just two people and one bathroom, there's no sense in keeping a big tank of water hot all the time. Plus you'll free up the space of not needing a hot water tank or cold water tank in attic.

Being oil though, I,ve heard it takes longer to heat the water than Gas, is that the case? don,t want to have to run a shower for ages to get hot water through

18 minutes ago, Lee66 said:

Being oil though, I've heard it takes longer to heat the water than Gas, is that the case? don't want to have to run a shower for ages to get hot water through

I cannot see that being true, (although I have had almost all my experience with gas)  If someone has had that experience I would expect it was the size of the boilers or installation differences that made the difference. 

If your not having solar hot water then yes I think Conor is right about the combi. If I remember my training, I think you should size the combi to ensure you have enough instant hot water coming out for the shower you want, and this will probably decide the size of the boiler rather than the heating requirement. But I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

If I had mains gas, electric, or LPG as the only power sources I would always choose mains gas.

Make sure that you fill the loft with insulation all over as much as possible to a foot thick: this is the most cost efficient way of improving the property insulation, along with cutting out any unnecessary drafts.

I am in a 99m2 bungalow with no mains gas.

Good luck

Marvin 

• Like 1