Welding for Numpties

Conor

I've been using the cheap gasless MIG. Successfully welded some rebar to a RSJ without destroying anything. I had less success with the thin, rusty metal on my trailer though. Lots of learning.

But overall, as someone with no experience, I'm very happy with the MIG kit.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

I've been using the cheap gasless MIG. Successfully welded some rebar to a RSJ without destroying anything. I had less success with the thin, rusty metal on my trailer though. Lots of learning.

But overall, as someone with no experience, I'm very happy with the MIG kit.

Mig welding anything thin is not easy, add rust/dirt/paint etc and its a nightmare so dont knock yourself for struggling.

Loads of people frown on the cheap gas less Migs but they can put down a descent weld with practice and so much easier than lugging a big plant around a site.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

Bringing this back - anyone had any decent results with gasless MiG.? I’ve got a TIG unit but may invest in a small MIG but wonder about lugging the gas around too. 

You can get a pretty good weld with a gas less machine, We used to use big versions for welding structures in exposed locations where wind blew gas shielding away.

The weld will never look as neat as a gas shielded equivalent but so much easier than lugging bottles around. The new inverter welding inits are so much more stable than the old machines too.

• Like 1