Anyone good at interior design and mixing wood tones?

Adsibob

Can somebody explain the art and science of mixing wood tones to me please? We are cladding a wall with fluted wood as a decorative feature. However, this has made choosing the floor more challenging than i had expected. My other half wanted wood for the floor and I initially objected on the basis that it would be really hard to make the wood on the floor either match the wood on the wall or work well with it. Architect said it was possible to find two different woods that complemented eachother, but has failed to inspire us with any examples thus far. We have 7 days to decide because if we are going to do a poured floor instead, our floor height will be about 12mm lower and we need to finalise this before the sliding door survey happens next week!

If anyone has any photos of how they have managed to make a wooden floor work with other wooden items in the room, such as wooden cladding or large pieces of wooden furniture, please share.

Mahogany and Satinwood have traditionally worked well but I imagine they are not on the menu.

Not sure of your budget but I have seen some fantastic reclaimed parquet type flooring.  Probably well over £100 / m but it would look fine with other wood furniture.  I don't think wood "clashes".

The beauty of wood is that it is usually pretty easy to mix woods together.

The general rule is to try and mix similar tones so warm tones eg walnut and oak or grey tones together.

We have lots of mixed wood tones.

58FD28AD-AAF0-4C5E-8DFD-AB986CF0F8F6.jpeg

58224B8E-EC49-41CF-9474-65CF87692369.jpeg

3 hours ago, AliG said:

The beauty of wood is that it is usually pretty easy to mix woods together.

The general rule is to try and mix similar tones so warm tones eg walnut and oak or grey tones together.

We have lots of mixed wood tones.

58FD28AD-AAF0-4C5E-8DFD-AB986CF0F8F6.jpeg

58224B8E-EC49-41CF-9474-65CF87692369.jpeg

Thanks @AliG this looks really nice. What wood is that storage unit/cupboard on the bottom picture made from, it's really beautiful. 

Don't panic, the time  pressure they have put you under distorts your clarity of thought. Making a mood board helps if you can get samples. Have breaks to let your unconscious consider things, as it can send you crazy to overthink with your conscious mind.

I understand what you mean about a large area of (wood) floor and a wall of wood being 'too much', a bit like wearing a leather jacket, or trousers is ok, but not both together. However if they complement or even contrast, rather than match, it can work. Texture is important, so for example an all white room can look clinical and stark, but looks good if there are loads of differences in textures, eg rough walls, fluffy blankets or whatever. Wood is tactile so bear that in mind.

Another 'rule' I find helpful is to have no more than 3 colours in a room. I count wood of all types as one of the colours, it's soothing and really helps with coherence. The room above 'works' because the of the browns in the woods/brick, the black of the TV and the whitish walls. You may chose to break up the visual expanse of floor with rugs and the walls with pictures, so try to imagine pleasing vignettes of what you will see from various vantage points.

Not sure that exactly answers your question, but I hope it helps. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks @AliG this looks really nice. What wood is that storage unit/cupboard on the bottom picture made from, it's really beautiful. 

Thanks, I had to look back to the original emails with the maker.

The door frames are soaped oak (similar to oiled) , the veneer in the middle of the doors is poppy oak and the handles are smoked oak.

If I remember correctly he said he flew to Southampton to look at veneers and then they showed us dozens of thin sheets of veneer and let us pick the ones we liked.

20 minutes ago, AliG said:

Thanks, I had to look back to the original emails with the maker.

The door frames are soaped oak (similar to oiled) , the veneer in the middle of the doors is poppy oak and the handles are smoked oak.

If I remember correctly he said he flew to Southampton to look at veneers and then they showed us dozens of thin sheets of veneer and let us pick the ones we liked.

Thanks. Would you put me in touch with the maker please?