Expanding window tape - how do you use it?

readiescards

Due to various complications fitting of the two final (Internorm HF210 Alu-clad triple glazed, bleeding heavy) windows is down to me and my chippy.

The chippy has fitted windows before (me never) but not using the expanding window tape foam supplied.  

Some quick questions

* how long after applying the tape - do you have before it expands (assuming 5-10 degrees outside temp) - seconds or minutes?

* why is one edge of the tape covered in a plastic looking film - does that go on the outside or inside face?

* are the metal securing straps installed before/after the tape?

* any tips?

Cheers

It was easier for me, because my compriband went onto the window frame, then I slid the EWI panel up to it, so even if it expanded quickly, it didn't matter as it just got compressed again.  I take it you want to fit the tape, then put the window into an opening before it expands too much?

If so pick the coldest day you can and early on in the day. It definitely expands a lot slower when cold. Forget trying it on a hot sunny day.

One side of the tape is self adhesive with a peel off backing paper. As I say, I stuck that to the window frame. The fixing plates were on, but where I fitted the tape was forward (outside) of where the plates came to.

Make sure your chippy has some suction lifters (someone will come along with the proper name for them) it makes it so much easier.

• Like 1

In the end i taped one side and clamped a bit of wood across tape. Did the same on all 4 sides. Offer window up first so you know how it fits. Offered it up took off clamps and slid it in hole. It worked sort of 

As i said earlier i didn't really know what i was doing

• Like 1

Funnily enough I was thinking of planning window fitting for my build today so this thread is very timely. Compriband was mentioned above, is this "the one to use" or are there others that people would recommend?. My windows are being fitted to check reveals ( fitted behind the brick skin) so I can compress the tape as I screw the brackets to the back of the brickwork.

I used Tremco TP600 for ours. The way we did it was to cut the tape to the right length, offer it up to the gap to check. Then remove, peel back the top, offer back up to the gap and with a paint scraper to the non sticky side, slowly pull the backing tape downwards and towards you, pressing with the scraper as you go downwards. The backing tape goes to the window side. It's quiet therapeutic!

• Like 2

Dry fit the window so that it is packed level with fixing straps attached, then remove it.  With some windows you can also add the tape after the window is installed as per Jamie's method.

In warm weather keep the compriband in the fridge.  Get the right width for the gap you are aiming to fill.  It can expand a lot but if it expands beyond the rated range it will be less effective at sealing.

One side is self adhesive with peel off backing and you can stick either to the frame or the opening.  If you go round the corner of the frame or opening, introduce a bit of slack.  Do not stretch the tape.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

I used Tremco TP600 for ours. The way we did it was to cut the tape to the right length, offer it up to the gap to check. Then remove, peel back the top, offer back up to the gap and with a paint scraper to the non sticky side, slowly pull the backing tape downwards and towards you, pressing with the scraper as you go downwards. The backing tape goes to the window side. It's quiet therapeutic!

I too applied the tape in the gap after windows and doors in situ.  Dortech had some videos on utube for fitting compriband which I found useful.

One thing to watch out for on the doors is that mice can't reach it! They love to chew it.

• Like 1